Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 AT, AWD E with 90k miles, recently purchased from a single owner with meticulous service records at the dealership. I had the tranny flushed at a transmission shop and they reported no metal, just moderately dirty fluid. I was hoping that would get rid of this high pitched noise. Also, when I put it in 1st instead of D, I can go to any rpm with no high pitch noise. If I shift into 2 or D I hear the high pitch noise in the video. No luck in searching the forum so I recorded the noise in the video below what do you guys think?!

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
2,059 Posts
When you say "flushed", did they actually hook it up to a machine to change the fluid? Did the power or back flush it? Or just drain and fill? Did they change the external filter also? Do you know how much new fluid they put in? Did they use Honda fluid?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "flushed", did they actually hook it up to a machine to change the fluid? Did the power or back flush it? Or just drain and fill? Did they change the external filter also? Do you know how much new fluid they put in? Did they use Honda fluid?
Yes they used Honda atf fluid 7 units. The guy told me the filter is internal and wasn’t changed. Being that they are an aamco transmission company I assumed they were using best practice.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
2,059 Posts
There is an external filter behind the bottom center of the radiator in the lines that go to the transmission cooler. Did the fluid change make any difference in the noise?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an external filter behind the bottom center of the radiator in the lines that go to the transmission cooler. Did the fluid change make any difference in the noise?
No it didn’t make a difference.
I should say that driving 25 in first gear I do t get that noise (high rpm) but if I’m in drive I do just not as loud. The bigger the rpm the louder that noise

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And actually looking back the transmission was serviced in 2013 at 30k and not again until I just did at 90k 2022

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,108 Posts
Mine has had a whine noise since new. It has become louder over the years. I believe it's in the final drive gear mesh. Trans fluid has been serviced several times, and never any metal found on the magnet. I have a vid I did for the compliace bushing noise, and the whine noise can be heard. Not much can be done, other than replace the transmission. It's more of an annoyance than a problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had 3 Elements with this noise, and if changing the fluid didn't solve the noise, changing the filter below/behind the radiator solved it. If someone says there's no external filter, find another mechanic because they don't know WTF they are talking about. The filter is there, and is a known restriction and cause of this noise when it's clogged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had 3 Elements with this noise, and if changing the fluid didn't solve the noise, changing the filter below/behind the radiator solved it. If someone says there's no external filter, find another mechanic because they don't know WTF they are talking about. The filter is there, and is a known restriction and cause of this noise when it's clogged.
Helpful. I’ll try that and report back

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,108 Posts
I changed mine @ 25K, didn't seem to make any difference. Will look into this, because the noise is louder than when new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honda technician put it on the rack and we could hear the noise coming from driver side of tranny. He believes it is a bearing in the transmission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honda technician put it on the rack and we could hear the noise coming from driver side of tranny. He believes it is a bearing in the transmission.
Asked him about the filter and he said he hasn’t changed one in 12 years. Why would Honda say they don’t need to be changed if it could be that easy of a fix?

·
Registered
164 Posts
A clogged filter restricts ATF from the trans, and you get the whine in the trans even though the filter is the restriction. Saying they don't need to be changed is a retarded argument. Filters get clogged, that's why they are there. I am surprised you are discounting a $100 fix yet listening to a $3-4k repair LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A clogged filter restricts ATF from the trans, and you get the whine in the trans even though the filter is the restriction. Saying they don't need to be changed is a retarded argument. Filters get clogged, that's why they are there. I am surprised you are discounting a $100 fix yet listening to a $3-4k repair LOL.
I’m not discounting it at all. It IS weird that the dealer would say that. Just sayin. I don’t have the know how to flush the transmission, is it possible to change the filter w/o drawing the tranny?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I never said flush the trans. A 3qt drain/refill with Honda ATF is recommended.

The filter replacement is not difficult, though the access is a little challenging.

Access is best from below.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts