Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i but a 2004 ex two weeks ago at a honda dealer and a few days ago i noticed that when i accelorate there is a high pitch sound. when i lift my foot off the gas pedal then it stops, but when i press it, the sound comes back. i dont think it happens all the time i notice it a few times a day

what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem with my 2005

i but a 2004 ex two weeks ago at a honda dealer and a few days ago i noticed that when i accelorate there is a high pitch sound. when i lift my foot off the gas pedal then it stops, but when i press it, the sound comes back. i dont think it happens all the time i notice it a few times a day

what could be the problem?
I have the same problem. It doesn't do it all the time! When I take it to the dealer--it never does it. It usually buzzs more in the summer months.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome and its hard to diagnose over the board here but I would look at the belt slipping. Under a load the belt when worn will cause a high pitched squeal over the alternator or other load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine did the same thing, sounded like alternator whine at accleration, it ended up being a bad bearing in the belt tensioner pulley. When the car is running look under the hood and shine a flash light on the serpentine belt and see if it is vibrating or shaking, if so I'd say that is the problem. It was a $260.00 fix at the dealership and that did include a new belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible solution- for high pitched noise when accelerating

In the past I've visited this sight looking for a solution to a problem I had with my 2003 Element, namely a noise during moderate acceleration. It started several years ago and got progressively worse. Driving at about 35-40 mph, I barely touched the accelerator and would hear a high pitched noise. It was not really a whine, but had a vibration sound mixed in with the whine sound. Two different Honda dealers told me it was a normal sound, even though it only started after the car was 5 years old. A non-dealer Honda specialty service shop said the noise was NOT normal, but they could never pinpoint the source of the noise, because it would not do it in the shop, only on the road while moving. They had already replaced the timing belt and tensioner for other reasons, so that was not the source. They thought it may be in the transaxle or internal engine parts, but nothing to warrant taking anything apart. I recently took it in for a brake job and they found that the sway bar linkage was exceedingly loose. Once the linkage was replaced, that annoying noise ceased to exist. The change in torque when accelerating, evidently, cause those parts to vibrate freely, causing the high pitched noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts