Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 09 that is making a sound like a kazoo but higher in pitch when I drive on the turnpike or highway between 70 and 80 mph...Any ideas what is causing this????

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Do you have a roof rack?

If not look at the cladding on the pillars. several people have found one of the sides to be loose. Also look above the windshield, there was one person that had the top strip making noise.

It's an 09, take it to the dealer, and have them FIX it!

Dom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...no roof rack...will check what you suggested and it will be taken back to dealer...this just started happening

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same Thing

i have an 09 that is making a sound like a kazoo but higher in pitch when I drive on the turnpike or highway between 70 and 80 mph...Any ideas what is causing this????
Holy fecal material, talk about coincidence.
My '09 Element with 3,000 miles just started making exactly the same noise at about 70 mph. It's a real conversation stopper too.
I tried putting the winter wipers back on but the noise is the same.
Also, running the wipers has no effect on the noise.
Also, when it got colder last night the noise didn't happen at 70 mph.
The noise only started when the weather warmed up. I bought the car in March and the noise only started last week while on a trip on a fairly warm (60sF) day.
I suspect the plastic trim at the bottom of the windshield.
As it softens (ever so slightly) when it warms up, it becomes flexible enough so that the high speed airflow over it lifts it just enough so it can vibrate against the glass.
Just a theory and I have no idea how to fix it.
Thanks.

Check this out from the "Problems & Issues" section of this forum.

"TSB 09-024 April 4, 2009 "Whistle or Buzz From the Upper Middle of the Windshield"
The TSB applies to 2009 models, but I've been been trying to track down a rattling noise from my windshield that only occurs at interstate speeds since 2004.
The TSB calls for silicone sealant in the channel under the upper windshield molding."

My 2009 Element (4WD A/T) falls within the serial number range for the problem/fix if, indeed, my buzz is actually caused by the upper molding.
4WD A/T Models: VIN 5J6YH28..9L000015 thru 5J6YH28..9L001607
2WD A/T Models: VIN 5J6YH18..9L000013 thru 5J6YH18..9L001274
Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our 09 has 3300 miles and we got it in feb...I felt that it was coming from windshield also...husband thinks different...when i take it for it's first oil change i am going to ask about this problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts