Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 06' last fall and have three issues even though the car drives fine:
1) lately when I'm sitting in traffic and open the window I notice a high pitched sound when I drive about 20 miles and hour. Seems to be coming from under the car(?)
2)When I open the drivers window, there is a musty smell coming from the window opening in the door.
3) When I turn the key to start the car it doesn't catch right away and makes a terrible noise like metal on metal for a few seconds. This began last December and then went away completely on its own until last week.
I'd appreciate any suggestions

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not sure on 1. could be a lot of things. Happens only at 20 mph?
2. sounds like water got into the door. How are the rubber seals? In good shape?
3. Your starter is going bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on 1. could be a lot of things. Happens only at 20 mph?
2. sounds like water got into the door. How are the rubber seals? In good shape?
3. Your starter is going bad.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I notice the noise when the window is down and I slow down to about 20 to 5 mph. I'm guessing the brakes.
I'll have the mechanic look at the rubber seals (?)
I thought about the starter too. But then the noise stopped about six months ago and just returned. I figured if it was the starter it wouldn't just stop.
Thanks for the info. Not much of a car person but I do like my E. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If your having a mechanic look at the rubber seals, (previous owner could also have just left the window down and got rain in the door then) have them test the starter as well. Could be the starter solenoid is going bad. The grinding is the starter's gear teeth not engaging properly or disengaging properly from the flywheel. The solenoid is a magnetic coil driven piston that forces the starter gear onto the flywheel, which turns the engine fast enough to start, then the solenoid retracts again. The mechanic can check the solenoid voltage to see if it is failing.

But you should just be able to eye-ball the rubber seals on the doors, to see if there are cracks or tears. Many auto parts stores will test starters too, for free.

So the "whine" noise is only when you apply the brakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll take it to my mechanic as soon as he has a free day.
The whine noise is actually a high pitch sound that I can only hear when the window is down and I'm going slow. It may happen other times too. I hear it when I'm driving and not using the brakes. I'll ask him to check it out along with the starter.
When I was growing up sixty years ago, girls weren't often interested or encouraged to learn about cars. My loss I'm afraid.
Thanks again for your time and sharing your knowledge.
I do like my E!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts