Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2009 E on a little road trip this past weekend. I made the trek east from Edmonton, AB to Regina, SK for some fun with friends. All in all, I was pretty happy with the way the E performed on the highway but I do have one little complaint: the automatic transmission seems to downshift A LOT!!!

I went from a Manual to Automatic transmission when I traded my '05 for an '09 (due to the fact that MT isn't available in Canada) and I noticed with the Cruise Control set at a steady 120 km/h, everytime I went up a small incline (and in some cases, I do mean small) the E dropped from 5th to 4th (sometimes even down to to 3rd) almost every single time! So much so, that I began to wonder if it was affecting my fuel economy in a negative way.

Has anyone else noticed this? And is there any way to get the dealer/tech to adjust this?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Your 09 has two levels of OD, so that means 5th is a pretty deep one. So I'm not surprised that it would shift down when encountering a hill. When cruising in 5th, what were the rpms? Quite a bit lower than the 05's? Did it shift down as much when you controlled the gas? Could it be that the cruise control actually has some say in this shifting?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I wonder how the 4th gear (non-selectable) on the new AT compares with 5th (OD) on the old MT. They may be close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm driving an 07 SC 2WD AT and I set the Crise between 115 and 120kph. The rpms generally stay between 2 and 3000, except for the steep hills. I wet from 2003 EX 5Spd MT to the SC and I think the AT does really well. It's much better on fuel consumption than the manual ever was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts