Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, bad news, someone hit my wife's 2007 Element in a parking lot and tore a nice size gash in the black bumper trim on the front. It looks like I may need a new bumper so does anyone know the P/N, and can I get it pre-painted kiwi green? Thanks

100_2597.jpg

100_2596.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, I got to thinking too, can body shops do repairs on plastic bumpers? If so this may be the cheaper route. My deductible is $500.00 and don't have the money to bare that cost right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, 140.00 primed and just a round about shot what would paint be? I know body shops all have different prices. Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you will not have to worry about paint for that part of the bumper. I believe it comes the way you see it on your E now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One piece. At first that was my impression like hey just the black plastic is damaged easy fix. Closer look revels it is not, bad design IMO but cheaper for Honda to make one big mold.

So any clues on paint cost? It is the Kiwi so might be an expensive paint mix?

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you will not have to worry about paint for that part of the bumper. I believe it comes the way you see it on your E now.

They only come primered. Honda incorrectly listed the front bumper and side panels as coming prepainted in the parts listings.

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
One piece. At first that was my impression like hey just the black plastic is damaged easy fix. Closer look revels it is not, bad design IMO but cheaper for Honda to make one big mold.

?
One thing to keep in my....When Honda designed the front bumper as one piece painted covers were not in the picture....Good change that they had not even planned to even introduce a painted cover in the future.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You might check one of the larger used car lots in your area. They usually have a guy come around with a mobile body repair business, to paint and touch up bumpers at a lot less than replacing the bumper. In my area they charge about $100.00 to do a repair like you have. Keep in mind that the bumper is a textured finish and the repair will look somewhat different than oem. They will have to sand and fill the gouge with a flex body/bumper filler and then blend in some textured paint to make it look right. This way you will not have to worry about matching the body color. They should paint both front areas of the bumper to make it match. I had this done to a Jeep a few years back, and actually liked the texture better than when it was new.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not that bad. I had that happen in walmart to the bad bumper. Looks way worst. Bumpers aren't cheap so I haven't fixed it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It's not that bad. I had that happen in walmart to the bad bumper. Looks way worst. Bumpers aren't cheap so I haven't fixed it.
The rear bumper is actually alot cheaper, and easier to replace than the front!
Not to mention that the rear bumper is smooth plastic, and really easy to repair and paint!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, went to the body shop for an estimate and so far $650.00 for the front end repair. Bumper, paint and labor. With that in mind I had to go to Honda to have my mushy brakes checked again, and I asked the service guy about my mishap. He grinned and pointed me to the back lot where they had hired a company to fix their cars and told me to speak to them. Long story short, $200.00 to fix the bumper to include repairing all the surface scratches, small dents, paint chips and a wax job. Option B sounded like a sweeter deal so I made an appointment. Jokingly my wife Summer referred to it as taking the E to the beauty salon. Hasta luego body shop, hello car salon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was rear-ended this past week. Just the rear bumper has some cuts, scrapes, and scratches on it. I did have some people mention to me that bumpers usually have "stuff" in them to absorb impact that may have been damaged. Any knowledge of this with the Element?

·
Registered
68 Posts
See part # 4 in the diagram posted earlier.

When my E was backed into, there was a big dent in the area by the fog light opening. When I took the bumper off to pound out the dent, the "pointy" extension on the left side was kind of pushed over towards the mid-line of the car and some of the plastic cushion around it was crushed.

I haven't replaced anything on it. Where the bumper meets that extension of part # 4 there is a round bump about the size of a half dollar. The big dent is barely noticable.

Heating the plastic bumper from the inside and then using a rubber mallet and some percussive maintenance pushed it back into reasonable shape.

Now, I just got to fix the new bullet hole rock chip in the windshield. 03 with a perfect original windshield...:shock:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ooooooow!

I was rear-ended this past week. Just the rear bumper has some cuts, scrapes, and scratches on it. I did have some people mention to me that bumpers usually have "stuff" in them to absorb impact that may have been damaged. Any knowledge of this with the Element?
Just had my 06 TRP rearended. Initially looked like only the rear bumper tread insert got screwed. Then saw dimples on the plastic cladding near the tailgate hinges. Still didn't think it much. Left the scene with info exchange since rearender had only licenseplate frame damage. Then, after a few days, I pulled down the tailgate. OMG. Both of the tailgate hinges were pushed into the unibody and the underlying steel tailgate behind the plastic cladding was 'flattened'. So, the estimate to return it to OEM is $2150. OMG.:twisted:

·
Registered
508 Posts
primed/prepainted

They only come primered. Honda incorrectly listed the front bumper and side panels as coming prepainted in the parts listings.
Yep, can confirm this one. Just got the tailgate cover for $250 for 07-08 EX which is actually spec'ed for my 2006 EXP. Needed to get painted. I'm glad I had the bodyshop do the work - I'd have been SCREWED with primed only part, if I went off only the parts website details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts