Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Hidden Hitch (brand name) On my Element. I paid $119.00 from Hitches4less.com. I love the easy installation. It looks GREAT! Nothing to drill no skill required. I am putting our bikes on a rack that attaches. I am very happy with the look. I thought the dealer wanted a little much for their hitch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this info. I've been wanting a receiver hitch for my E, specifically to mount our bikes to, but haven't been willing to pay Honda's price for one. Your solution sounds good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered my Hidden Hitch from http://www.hitchesonline.com on Monday. It got here today, (Thurs.) with reg. ground shipping. I didn't get home 'til almost dark, and thought I'd just take a peak inside the box and see how many parts I'd be dealing with later, when I had more time. At first, the sight of so few parts, actually confused me, and I briefly wondered if they'd shipped everything. But a quick look at the single, easy to follow instruction sheet assured me that, yes, it really was that simple.

Looking at the oncoming darkness, I decided to just see if it looked like everything might fit. I really wasn't even going to attach it tonight, but it was just so darned easy that there was no reason not to. So, in less than 20 minutes, I had the hitch completely installed. Had I approached it from the attitude of being ready to do it from the start, I might have cut that time in half. All that's needed is both 3/4s and 9/16ths sockets and wrenches. Torque to 100lbs. (or until it just can't get tighter and you're actually moving the whole vehicle) and you're done. About the only sticking point, was it had to be "nudged" past the center hanger loop. That required a forceful palm slap, to get the center part of the reciever seated correctly, but it took more time to write this sentence than to do it.

I've never seen a receiver hitch that was this easy to put on. It's such a far cry from the miserable "universal" Reese hitch that I put on a Ford Taurus Station wagon. That thing was a nightmare, with extention rods, and lots of spare parts that meant that it supposedly fit several different vehicles (badly). This Hidden Hitch for the Honda Element is the opposite of that. It's got very few parts, and fits exactly and snugly. Best of all, it was very inexpensive and doesn't protrude from the rear of the vehicle when the ball carrier piece isn't installed.

Now, I just need to find a suitable bike carrier to fit it. So far, I've been quoted everything from $79-$229 for those, but just found some refurbished Rhode Gear receiver hitches for $49 online at http://www.performancebike.com Maybe, I'll go that route and have both hitch and bike rack for considerably less than many places get for just the hitch or the rack separately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts