Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post but have been reading. I am in a little bit of a bind as my wife asked me yesterday to buy her a hitch for her 2006 element for her birthday. It is 2wd and if possible I would like one that is inexpensive that I can install myself. Below I have posted one I found on E-Bay and would like your opinions. We would not be pulling much weight really. Occasional camping equipment, bicycles or very rarely a jet ski. Do you believe the following will suffice and if not can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Doc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLAS...|Make:Honda|Model:Element&hash=item4cefaf5510

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i have the Hidden Hitch w/ 2" receiver on our 2006. it appears to be sturdy. i bought the vehicle used w/ the hitch already installed, so don't know about the installation. if you're considering a hitch mounted rack, you definitely want a 2" receiver, don't be tempted by cost to go smaller.
as to electrical hookups to a trailer, if you go that way, the prevailing opinion is to pay the big bucks for the Honda trailer wiring package rather than something from eTrailer or other. some folks who went the non-Honda route subsequently experienced the absence of lights at inconvenient time.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
First time post but have been reading. I am in a little bit of a bind as my wife asked me yesterday to buy her a hitch for her 2006 element for her birthday. It is 2wd and if possible I would like one that is inexpensive that I can install myself. Below I have posted one I found on E-Bay and would like your opinions. We would not be pulling much weight really. Occasional camping equipment, bicycles or very rarely a jet ski. Do you believe the following will suffice and if not can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Doc
The hitch you're looking at on Ebay -is- the hitch sold by Uhaul and you can buy it at the Uhaul store for $134.95 + tax. If there's a Uhaul place close to you, check out uhaul.com and pick it up locally with the full warranty instead of getting it gray market.

Yeah, it's a very good hitch and the same one that almost everybody else here bought if they didn't get soaked for the OEM "weeny" hitch from Honda. Beware of a cheaper hitch sold on Ebay that bolts to the bottom of the spare tire well. Bad-bad-bad...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got mine from a local shop. My hitch works great...unfortunately the wiring kit has been ordered 3 times and it hasn't worked yet; the connection under the dash doesn't fit.

It is getting frustrating, to say the least.

-simpson

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I got mine from a local shop. My hitch works great...unfortunately the wiring kit has been ordered 3 times and it hasn't worked yet; the connection under the dash doesn't fit.

It is getting frustrating, to say the least.

-simpson
Are you ordering the right kit or are you trying to plug it in to the wrong connection? Had the same problem on mine at first because the instructions point to the wrong location for the connector. On the EX, it's actually over against the wall up behind the hood release and I'm assuming the SC is the same. Or does the SC use a different harness?

There's another thread of an EX installation (not too old) with decent pictures.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the Hidden Hitch w/ 2" receiver on our 2006. it appears to be sturdy. i bought the vehicle used w/ the hitch already installed, so don't know about the installation. if you're considering a hitch mounted rack, you definitely want a 2" receiver, don't be tempted by cost to go smaller.
as to electrical hookups to a trailer, if you go that way, the prevailing opinion is to pay the big bucks for the Honda trailer wiring package rather than something from eTrailer or other. some folks who went the non-Honda route subsequently experienced the absence of lights at inconvenient time.
Why the 2" specifically? I have to ask this as I just questioned the price of getting a hitch installed by the dealer, who told me not to. He recommended UHaul, but he did say that if I didn't spend the $1200 to have the dealer install a hitch (even though I am only using it for a bike rack) and something happened to the transmission, the warranty would be voiced unless I got a smaller hitch and it was obvious I wasn't pulling a trailer.

So I was all set to go to Uhaul this week and get a 1-1/4" hitch. Why is that a bad thing? (And, someone once said why are you getting a hitch for bikes if you have an Element? I'm getting it because my bike has big old handlebars and I can barely squeeze it into the back, and when I want to haul other stuff too -- like other bikes or a harp, it's just not good.)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Why the 2" specifically? I have to ask this as I just questioned the price of getting a hitch installed by the dealer, who told me not to. He recommended UHaul, but he did say that if I didn't spend the $1200 to have the dealer install a hitch (even though I am only using it for a bike rack) and something happened to the transmission, the warranty would be voiced unless I got a smaller hitch and it was obvious I wasn't pulling a trailer.

So I was all set to go to Uhaul this week and get a 1-1/4" hitch. Why is that a bad thing? (And, someone once said why are you getting a hitch for bikes if you have an Element? I'm getting it because my bike has big old handlebars and I can barely squeeze it into the back, and when I want to haul other stuff too -- like other bikes or a harp, it's just not good.)
Dude! Go to Uhaul and get the 2" class III hitch. There are more racks available for the 2" receiver and the larger it is the more secure it is (less likely to wobble). You probably don't need a trailer wiring kit so that should make the install cheaper. If you are half way familiar with tools you could install it yourself (the are several threads which show the procedure) and save even more. Heck, if you lived closer to me I would install it for you for just a case of interesting micro brew.:roll:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dude! Go to Uhaul and get the 2" class III hitch. There are more racks available for the 2" receiver and the larger it is the more secure it is (less likely to wobble). You probably don't need a trailer wiring kit so that should make the install cheaper. If you are half way familiar with tools you could install it yourself (the are several threads which show the procedure) and save even more. Heck, if you lived closer to me I would install it for you for just a case of interesting micro brew.:roll:
But this is what worries me: "If your transmission blows and you have a 2" hitch on there, it won't be covered because Honda will say you were hauling something too heavy for the car."

This worries me.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
But this is what worries me: "If your transmission blows and you have a 2" hitch on there, it won't be covered because Honda will say you were hauling something too heavy for the car."
B*llsh*t! There are probably hundreds of Elements on this forum with class III hitches on them and there have been no reports of a dealer making that claim. They could say the same thing about a class I hitch for that matter.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
^what he said.

any dealer that would claim that the presence of a 2" hitch connector on the back of an Element would void the warranty, is a dealer that i wouldn't trust for anything. you don't want to do business w/ them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
^what he said.

any dealer that would claim that the presence of a 2" hitch connector on the back of an Element would void the warranty, is a dealer that i wouldn't trust for anything. you don't want to do business w/ them.
K then!!! Man, you guys can be harsh......I was just asking to be sure. I'll go with the Class III hitch and the 2" receiver. Thanks....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
K then!!! Man, you guys can be harsh......I was just asking to be sure. I'll go with the Class III hitch and the 2" receiver. Thanks....
The reason these kinds of questions come up is because some people think that if Honda says your E can tow 3/4 ton of trailer, but you buy a hitch that's rated to hold 2 1/2 tons, then suddenly, your Element has been magically transformed in to a mighty beast.

The truth is that no matter what kind of hitch you buy, it's still bolted to a thin, sheet metal frame and you're still limited to the 3/4 ton load. You can hook an oversized trailer to either size hitch and burn out your tranny so simply having a 2" hitch proves nothing. Honda sells a smaller hitch because their design philosophy is always to use the smallest, lightest weight, lowest capacity part that will do what they wanted it to do. Too, they make a LOT of money selling the "special" hitch to the gullible. The 2" hitch is an industry standard and for most light weight uses like bike carriers and cargo platforms, etc, much better suited for the job.

Just having a 2" hitch isn't and CAN'T be used to void your warranty, but if you drive in to the dealer pulling a cabin cruiser or an Airstream, they'll probably be laughing while they write out your repair bill.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The reason these kinds of questions come up is because some people think that if Honda says your E can tow 3/4 ton of trailer, but you buy a hitch that's rated to hold 2 1/2 tons, then suddenly, your Element has been magically transformed in to a mighty beast.

The truth is that no matter what kind of hitch you buy, it's still bolted to a thin, sheet metal frame and you're still limited to the 3/4 ton load. You can hook an oversized trailer to either size hitch and burn out your tranny so simply having a 2" hitch proves nothing. Honda sells a smaller hitch because their design philosophy is always to use the smallest, lightest weight, lowest capacity part that will do what they wanted it to do. Too, they make a LOT of money selling the "special" hitch to the gullible. The 2" hitch is an industry standard and for most light weight uses like bike carriers and cargo platforms, etc, much better suited for the job.

Just having a 2" hitch isn't and CAN'T be used to void your warranty, but if you drive in to the dealer pulling a cabin cruiser or an Airstream, they'll probably be laughing while they write out your repair bill.
It all makes sense Desinia. I'm glad I read and posted my question. I would've gone with the smaller one, but now I know better and will get the 2". Thank you all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had U-Haul install a 2" receiver hitch to my Element.

We have a Snow Bear utility trailer that the E tows with no drama.

Here it is towing a BMW K1200RS with an EZS sidecar we had just bought from VT to N GA.

Since a K1200RS weighs in at about 620 lbs alone, we likely were up against (or well over) the 1,500 lb limit. Still, it handled it well and I've had no drivetrain issues in about 107.000 miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A little late to the discussion but I originally installed a 1 1/4 on my E, and bought a bike rack that would fit....the bike rack bent carrying our bikes, and we spent most of a return vacation holding bikes inside the E. FTR the bike rack was a quality name brand....

After I switched to a 2in, I have carried those same bikes across country and bounced them up and down and haven't had a bent bike rack since. If you are going to carry more than 2 bikes, go for the 2 in...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I noticed the tilt on the rear. The mount seems to be taking a different angle than the car/frame. Or am I seeing things?

I had U-Haul install a 2" receiver hitch to my Element.

We have a Snow Bear utility trailer that the E tows with no drama.

Here it is towing a BMW K1200RS with an EZS sidecar we had just bought from VT to N GA.

Since a K1200RS weighs in at about 620 lbs alone, we likely were up against (or well over) the 1,500 lb limit. Still, it handled it well and I've had no drivetrain issues in about 107.000 miles.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I noticed it too but wasn't going to say that I thought that load was WAY too far forward on the trailer to stick with the recommended 100-150lb max tongue load. On the other hand, my hitch also has a ~slight~ downward tilt. Not nearly as much but maybe there's some variation?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts