Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey'all!!! longtime lurker... anyway, i'll cut to it. want to put a hitch on the E this spring - not DIY, i will take it somewhere. just looking for suggestions, class I or II i guess? not really hauling much other than bike / junk trailer (trips to the dump).

any suggestions / brands / places, etc... between the hammer and TO.

thanks!
russell

·
Registered
715 Posts
Get a class 3. It's easier to find racks, carriers and such to fit the 2" receiver and a class 3 won't cost you any more and it looks a lot better. It's about a 15 minute installation and won't cost much to have it installed if you don't want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
^^^^ 2ed

U-Haul has the best price if you don't do it yourself.

Just don't let them do the wiring!

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another vote for a Class III. My Honda hitch (Class II I think) is flimsy and I've had to do all kinds of BS to keep my bike rack (Softride) from bouncing and swinging that I didn't have to do on my Outback with the same rack.

2" receiver and the highest Class I can find for the next one for sure.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Another vote for a Class III. My Honda hitch (Class II I think) is flimsy and I've had to do all kinds of BS to keep my bike rack (Softride) from bouncing and swinging that I didn't have to do on my Outback with the same rack.

2" receiver and the highest Class I can find for the next one for sure.
The Honda hitch is class I, and a class I and II don't come with 2" receiver.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amazing! thanks guys...
so, class 3 and a 2" receiver?

now. i have read some issues about having installers wiring it? what is the workaround here? honda's wiring harness? who should i have wire it?

thanks.

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
amazing! thanks guys...
so, class 3 and a 2" receiver?

now. i have read some issues about having installers wiring it? what is the workaround here? honda's wiring harness? who should i have wire it?

thanks.

2003-2004'S are fine to use with a plug and play harness. It is the later years you have to worry about.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just installed a Hidden Htich class III I purchased through etrailer.com. Free shipping! Easy to do but it took me about 1 hour instead of the 30 minutes they tell you it will. It's for a bike rack so no wiring was required, otherwise I probably still be out there.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If you're just going with a standard 4-wire trailer plug, the Honda one can't be beat. Aside from having to remove panels to access the connectors and routing, it is basically a plug-and-play install.

* EDIT * I'm not sure about later years either as Adrian says, but I know my 2004's harness has a standard-looking four-wire plug at the hitch and looks like all the other plugs I see on A/M hitch harnesses. I'm guessing here but I would think that so long as you have the schematic and know what needs to go where, you can use the Honda harness and modify it at the end to suit your trailer's specific wiring.

And after some of the butchered wiring nightmares I've seen come into work, I won't let anyone touch my Element's wiring except me.

I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you'd like to tow. I have the Honda hitch on my Element (staff discount on it) and probably for most of what I'll use it for (utility trailer, Swagman dual bike rack or my future one or two Aquatrax's :grin:) it is more than sufficient.

Also, unless aftermarket hitches bolt-in the way Honda's does, I like the no-drill through-body mounting of the Honda hitch. I'm not a big fan of drilling up into and through the body for mounting positions for aftermarket hitches :twisted:.

* EDIT * Just noticed that Hidden Hitch Class III P/N 87506 is a no-drill model as well and uses the same mounting method as the OEM hitch. If I find the need of a 2" receiver and have to tow more than the Honda hitch is rated for, I will definitely look into Hidden Hitch's product.

·
Registered
188 Posts
why give up the B

I have the Valley Class III hitch in my 2007. Thousands of miles towing motorcycles with it, and it's been great.

Even though it was expensive, I went with the factory wiring harness for towing, and it was as easy as could be.[/QUOTE

keep them all !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts