Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally installed my Hitchgate Solo after about a month and a half of it sitting in my house. First impressions: It is extremely well built. Google Wilco Offroad (they also used to go by Hitchgate) and you'll find that they are a quality operation. Yes it is expensive, especially with add-ons, but if you can appreciate and afford high quality US made products - this just might be for you. If you only care about the bottom line and need a full size carrier - keep walking and order yourself a much simpler fixed/downward folding design.

Installation: I assembled it on my work bench and then tried to slip it into the hitch. It wasn't easy getting the wedge lock in there right while finagling the entire unit into the receiver. The instructions tell you to install the swingarm while the lower hitch section is installed in the receiver - I recommend to follow the instructions :). On my Reese receiver, I have to use the smaller 0.5" hitch pin hole. This means that I had to order a 0.5" locking hitch pin that is long enough to fit a 2" reciever.

It does sit a little low, but they do have a high clearance Solo in the works that looks like it sits about 4" higher than the regular Solo. If I knew what I know now, and if it was available, I'd order the high clearance version just because it will look better sitting closer to bumper height and will add a little extra clearance for the exhaust (it's close but not too close).

Now, here's what most people will skip directly to: The pics!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the post. I am seriously considering investing in this. Question: did you relocate your license plate w/lights? and how did you do it? Any tips will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, to stay legal in most areas you'll need to light up your license plate. I used 4 things:
1) The Solo's license plate relocation kit - I tried the Curt receiver hitch plate mount and it got in the way of the swing arm. Someone could probably attach it into the left side of the bumper if you don't want to buy the Solo's lprk

2) Element trailer harness w/4 pole connector

3) 4 pole trailer end connector

4) license plate light

All I did was solder the 4 pole trailer end connector's rear light and ground wires to the light's power and ground wires and sealed everything up. Then plugged that into the Element's 4 pole trailer connector.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been wanting one of these, but don't want to pay much. What do they run? Please post pic showing what Element looks like with full view of spare tire. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been wanting one of these, but don't want to pay much. What do they run? Please post pic showing what Element looks like with full view of spare tire. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Website claims $878. I'm assuming there is shipping on top of that, and that does not include any kind of accessories (hilift mount/jerry can mount/etc.)

To each their own, I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed two days ago! LOVE my high clearance hitchgate solo !!! Excellent quality and easy to install. Worth every penny.

No more digging the donut spare out from the floor under my platform bed and drawers!

When the tailgate is open it rests on the additional hitch receiver; easily fixed with adhesive padding.

Just finished my license plate relocator frame. Waiting for the light to arrive to complete install.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just built a cart and was able to use coupon code "HONDAELEMENT" for an extra 10% off!

I'm still deciding on whether or not to go with the dual rotopax mount or just stick with the single mount.

Can't wait to get this installed. Pics to come!
Did you go with the dual? The pics on their site are a little lacking. I ended up got the single, which I never installed, along with a few rotopax mounts so I could mount a water can and the storage pack (yes I'm a sucker) inside my vehicle.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
You could get ticketed in some states for not having a red flag on something that protrudes more than 12" beyond your bumper. The reason is that a vehicle crossing at right angles behind you may not see the protrusion.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You could get ticketed in some states for not having a red flag on something that protrudes more than 12" beyond your bumper. The reason is that a vehicle crossing at right angles behind you may not see the protrusion.
Not to mention it blocks the license plate and license plat light...I'm pretty sure in most states you need to relocate the license plate and light onto the spare or hitch when obstructed so that it can be viewed at all hours (?)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts