Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group

I have searched this forum and found no reference for the Wilco HitchGate.

www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

Spare tire carrier w/option for gas/water cans. Mounts in 2" hitch, tongue weight 300lbs. Minimum.

It is expensive by this forums standards, it does swing out of the way.

Seeking comments, ( of course you may opine about the price).

Spare wheel/tire 40lbs? unsure here, 5 gallons of water approx. 67lbs+ container, I have never weight gas? Rotopax gas containers cost more, weight less maybe? Different expansion characteristics than metal ( attraction for me ).

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Some time ago a EOC traveler in Alaska showed photos of his rig - a hitch cargo platform with a storage box and spare tire. At some point on the gravel Dalton hwy, a piece of gravel bounced off the tire or box and broke the tailgate glass. He had to contend with constant dust infiltration the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Gravel is a common county road component. I will look into checking if there is a glass coating ( "amour all" so to speak/paraphrase for auto glass ).

Perhaps a dust skirt/flap, or slowing down and enjoying the views ( presumes a lot I know ).

Thanks again.

T.

·
Registered
82 Posts
just tint the back window. The tint itself should keep the glass together and keep the air out until it is time to get repaired. It wont stop the window from breaking since it's on the inside but i am sure it would be a rare event to have happen as it is.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Go to a sign shop and have them cover it in 3m optically clear laminate to give it some exterior protection from debris.

The rack looks pretty good. That would give you a little more interior cargo with the donut spare out of there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comment Scorsone. That was the intention, with space for wheel & fuel/water/antenna mounting on the rack, behind "spare", possible problem with 5th tire sensor but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. There was a thread about battery in the TPMS mechanism, rotating tires somewhere...

The donut hole can be used for "other tools".

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
With just 2 of us in the car, plus a small dog, my approach to carrying a full size spare is to mount it inside, in place of the rear seats. Over that is a cargo/sleeping platform. This puts the dense tire load low and centered. I use the spare well for tools like a tire patch kit, some tow straps, and tools.

For what it's worth, I've used an air compressor, and the tire plug kit, more often than the spare.

I carry something on the roof, in a small box. But I try to keep the roof load light.

While I mentioned the busted rear glass, I'm not sure the spare tire really increased likelihood of this rare event. The Element's cousin, the CRV has had a rear mounted spare for years without getting a reputation for busted rear windows. I'd be more concerned with a heavy hitch load affecting handling and clearance under the rear subframe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the response. It raises the issue of handling. Weight distribution, F/R 56.0/44.0%, that was from Car & driver for the first version ( 2003 ). So would hanging say 300 lbs. off the hitch point, depending on cabin load & distribution give one a lighter front end or not ( we are guessing here unless someone chimes in with real world experience ).

I would imagine one of the trailer hitch platform ( motor cycle, bales of hay haulers ) users might have a observation of how neutral or not the steering was wile under way and road conditions would of course contribute to handling.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thank you for the response. It raises the issue of handling. Weight distribution, F/R 56.0/44.0%, that was from Car & driver for the first version ( 2003 ). So would hanging say 300 lbs. off the hitch point, depending on cabin load & distribution give one a lighter front end or not ( we are guessing here unless someone chimes in with real world experience ).

I would imagine one of the trailer hitch platform ( motor cycle, bales of hay haulers ) users might have a observation of how neutral or not the steering was wile under way and road conditions would of course contribute to handling.
Just keep in mind the E is only rated for a towing capacity of 1500lbs which translates into an ideal tongue weight of around 150lbs. EOC members have posted on the forum where they have exceeded this but all have spoken of diminished gas milage and poorer handling. You may just negate the intended gains by packing too much weight on the back. Rooftop options should also be considered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"towing capacity of 1500lbs which translates into an ideal tongue weight of around 150lbs."

Thanks for the comment. Where can you point me for the "tongue weight ideal" calculation? Bettering understanding of the subject. I could see spare tire at 60 lbs. ( anyone ever weight there alloy rim? ), plus a couple of items, as I mentioned above, fuel & water & my antennas.

Terence

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ( sound of palm slapping forehead ).

So approximately 150 lbs.

I removed one wheel from my E this morning and it weighted in at 45 lbs.

HitchGate depending on accesories is 80 to 86 with out tire or typical "Jerry Cans".

So depending on fuel load and antennas looks like it may work.

Thanks all for the comments, assuming I buy this and do not die I will post pictures.

Terence

1 - 12 of 12 Posts