Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're thinking of getting a Kayak. Tried out the Hobie mirage drive tandem last weekend. Very impressed by the performance. Since both of us are cyclists and runners, using our legs to power the kayak made a lot more sense. Does anyone own one for these Kayaks? Care to share the long term ownership experience?

·
Banned
43 Posts
A good friend has one. Loves it, and had never had any problems with it.

I suppose if my budget had allowed it, I probably would have bought one, but, instead, I use shoulder and back power....

·
Registered
816 Posts
... both of us are cyclists and runners, using our legs to power the kayak made a lot more sense. ...
FWIW, coming from a running and cyclist background the main reason I took up paddling was for the upper body workout to complement the other two activities.

Beware though, paddling can be more addictive than cycling. We started out with a pair of $400 Ocean Kayak Frenzy and upgraded three times in less than two years.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ms JET has a Hobie with pedals, rutter, sail, anchor, drink holder and 2 Westies, she loves it and even with her background as a Canadian canoer, she would rather pedal than paddle. In a race she can beat me in the sprint but I can leave her in my wake after a 1/4 mile.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great pics. Now if i can only get my greyhound on the water :| (He no like water, too skinny, don't float too well).

Are U in LA? If so, where are good places to Kayak?

thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
FWIW, coming from a running and cyclist background the main reason I took up paddling was for the upper body workout to complement the other two activities.

Beware though, paddling can be more addictive than cycling. We started out with a pair of $400 Ocean Kayak Frenzy and upgraded three times in less than two years.

We did the same, started out with 2 Frenzys in the mid 1990s, moved up to two Necky touring boats, then moved up to longer, more efficient touring boats, a Necky and a Wilderness Systems, then bought a couple of recreational boats for smaller creeks like the Jersey Pine Barrens. Then I built two wooden Pygmy touring boats. We currently have the the 2 rec boats and the 2 Pygmys and are looking into buying either an inflatable or a folding double this spring so we can just throw it in the back of the E in case we see someplace we want to paddle. It's very addictive. :roll:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are U in LA? If so, where are good places to Kayak?
We live in Newbury Park and it's only minutes to Channel Islands Harbor or Ventura Harbor, sometimes Morro Bay.
None of the local Lakes (Casitas, Cachuma) allow outside Kayaks because of some snail they found in the Great Lakes and don't want any contamination.

I go camping twice a year with the EOC and always have my Kayaks mounted to the top of my Trailer. (except when we go to Death Valley).
Later this summer we'll be camping in the Redwoods and I will be taking the Kayaks.
You should join us.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Hobie Mirage Sport, I use it for fishing.
I consider the Mirage to be the SUV of kayaks. It is stable and peddles great, there are however, better boats for paddling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which rack did you buy for the Mirage?

Hi guys. I have the factory intalled roof racks and I want to tote my Mirage. Performance-wise, the Thule slipstreams seem like the ideal, but I'd be interested to know your experiences. Has anyone compared the slipstream to the Hullenators? I'm on my own, so I'd like loading and unloading to be easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts