Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post somewhere that someone found screen at a home depot and made a lower radiator screen.
Looked pretty good, wanted to see how they attached it.
I can't find the post.

Not sure if it was on this board or another.

anyone have any ideas?
Karl.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I used black plastic gutter guard and black zip ties to hold it on. I put it behind the bumper, looks almost factoy and blocks everything I want it to. Best part is the project cost me $3.00

[/url]
[/url]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did the same it came out great......looks good and price was right :)
Itchy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you install it?
where did you attach the zipties?

did you install it from under the car??

Thanks
Karl

·
Registered
150 Posts
very cool. I am going to do this tonight. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
This stuff is great. I used over my headlights, over the license plate. It really looks cool. I havn't done it to my E.
I am in protest. The first thing I am doing is lifting and tires but I wait........................................ :cry:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got everyting from the depot.
The platic gutter guard was easy to bend I just stuck it inside the bumper between one of those slots. Then I rolled it out to cover the openeing and attached the top with zip ties then the bottom. The entire project took about 10 minutes. The hardest part was to get the square part on the zip tie hidden behind the bumper. All I had to do was twist them till it faced the back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tried this tonight and was not impressed :(

a rock or anything flying at high velocity will bend the plastic back and hit the radiator anyway.

Maybe the aluminum will be stronger. I will try this tommorrow!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Aluminum gutter guard, that what I used!

I purchased two pieces, but one piece is more than enough.
I put my on with black cable ties and cable ties anchors, they designed for outdoor use. I regretted that I didn't painted the screen black, it would look much better.

Project cost:
$1.79 Aluminum screen
$3.00 cable ties(black)
$6.00 cable anchors(black)

·
Registered
287 Posts
The plastic isn't going anywhere on my vehicle. Perhaps you purchased some thinner material.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also went to Home Depot. I utilized a decorative metal screen. I cut it to size using tin type cutter. I then spray painted it black with Rustoleum and wire tied it on the outside not inside of face vs. behind it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:6bc59f4552="zarathustra"]The plastic isn't going anywhere on my vehicle. Perhaps you purchased some thinner material.[/quote:6bc59f4552]

It been a while since I purchased (HD)the gutter guard but it made of aluminum, it got two stainless clips near each corner. The gutter guard happen to be to perfect width and lenght, I believed airflow won't be a problem at all. Since it a stiffer material you have remove the bumper to install it, it look like it was OEM. :D

I was at Menards few week a go and saw some more screens, they'r not gutter screen. I didn't look closely but they might work too.

I guess plastic gutter screen will keep leaves and other bigger stuff out, but
plastic become too soft when heat is near.

Zarath,
Good luck with your DIY.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good thing the platic gutter guard is heat resistent since it sits on top of most people's house's and bakes in summer time sun and doesn;t melt.

Im sure the amount of heat on the front end of the moving vehicle, in front of an ac condenssor, isn't as extreme as this NC heat on my roof top!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I wonder what gets hotter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Use whatever work for you!

I don't doubt you for a second that plastic gutter screen worked, my aluminum screen workout well for me.

I owned a 98 Dodge Stratus with the nose mask, there are section of that mask made of fine vinyl or fiber glass mesh, after 5yrs of service that all faded and all torned.

It a pain in the ass to take the Element bumper off to repare anything behind there, beside at the same time worry it being scracth or damage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah no doubt.......Im a big fan of not taking off that front bumper!

·
Registered
150 Posts
zarathustra, I got some aluminum gutter screen and i am going to try the bumper removal this weekend. The plastic, once I had it all attached, had some corners and edges where it could easily bend in if a rock hit it(on the very tops, corners and bottom)

I am going to lay down a soft blanket in the garage in front of my E and remove the bumper, attatch the aluminum and the put it back.

I will take some pics this weekend.

:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah the corners were tricky.

1 - 20 of 414 Posts