Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have wanted Home Link in the E since I bought it. I had it on my Acura CL-S, and missed it. I had an idea for a mirror type install, but I needed a TIG welder, and my friend who had one, sold it. So I decided that I could make a really cool one that was more like my Acura one. Here are some pics. This was NOT an easy mod, and is definately not for the faint of heart.

First I acquired a Home Link out of an Acura CL-S. I know how it works and was comfortable with how it was configured. I didnt take a picture of it before I started my mod. So here is a pic of it after I soldered on a pair of wires to each push button, 3 buttons total, and after taking out the original red LED and soldering on a pair of wires (blue & white) to the that location. You can also see two red butt connectors that I have on the OEM power wires.

I taped up the PC board under the black plastic that it came with. I was going to chop up that entire piece and just leave the Home Link PC board under that black plastic, but I instead cut out a piece of the metal that is underneath the overhead console. You can see it had a hole that I made bigger.

I had installed, then realized that the switches I bought were too tall. So I decided to take out that metal covering, and make some space for my swithches. You will see why I did this in the next pic, as well as why I didn't just opt for some smaller switches at the end of this post.

Removing that metal piece involved removing the front part of the headliner to get to two of the screws. You will also notice that a UniBit is awesome!!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next you will see the final result of the install.

The switches are metal, and flush. They have a blue LED ring around them, so they are easy to see at night. The red LED comes on when I push any of the three buttons, and is used for programming the Home Link system. This took a lot of time and effort to get it just right. I am VERY pleased with the results, and if anyone else is crazy enough to try this, I will be happy to help out.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nice and Clean!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Very nice :cool:

How's the reception?
The reception is just OK. I have the unit upside down right now. If I turn it
right side up, the original buttons will be on the headliner. I dont want that.
If I can figure out a good solid way to flip it over and not have the buttons
touch anything, I will try that. So far its no big deal.

Thanks for all the compliments!! :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
very cool, install looks great. This is definitely something I miss having. I have 2 garage door openers clipped into the bottom of the storage bin because I don't like seeing them on the visor. Level of difficulty for someone with minimal experience?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very cool, install looks great. This is definitely something I miss having. I have 2 garage door openers clipped into the bottom of the storage bin because I don't like seeing them on the visor. Level of difficulty for someone with minimal experience?
Level of difficulty is dependent on your experience.

How do you feel about soldering?? Are you really good with small wires/posts?
This is the hardest part. Easy to get a short or an open on the PC board.

How are you with drilling?? Drilling plastic can be easy.

How are you with a measuring tape? I actaully used metal ruler to mark up the upper console.

How are you with 12VDC circuits?

If you dont want the LED switches, it is a lot easier. You won't have to yank out the metal upper piece, and a lot less wiring.

If you are SERIOUS about doing this, and nothing above scares you, PM me.

I will be happy to give you a list of tools and parts. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great job it looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Don't let Homelink see this, it's way too sleek. Definately takes the plain Homelink layout and makes it look classy and like it belongs there.

I love the LED pushbuttons, any info on those?
Thanks for the compliments!!!

As for the LED push buttons, here is the link to where I bought them.

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/Sealed_Push_Button_Switches_with_IP67_Rating.html

They are made by Philmore. The part number for the blue LED = 30-12650.
They also make a red LED ( 30-12646 ) and green LED ( 30-12648 ). These are
brand new switches. They aren't even listed on the Philmore website. I
actually found them on accident. I was looking for a blue LED for another
project, and those popped up on the Google search I did.

As for the specs, they have a 12VDC LED in them, so I ran the constant
power from the map lights to them, and grounded them to the metal shell
that is between the overhead console and the roof. The switch is a
momentary normally open switch. It also has the extra terminal if you want
to use it as a normally closed switch. It is a very well made switch.
Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
here is the pic of mine you were asking about. i did the electronics in a similar fasion but sorry no build pics. mine came out of some gm that had the unit in the visor i believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts