Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on one, and was curious if anyone else was rockin' one.

I bought my E w/ a partial hitch assembly installed. I have no idea what make/model the parts are from, and the bolts have been welded. So removing whats there and starting fresh isn't an option I'm going for. (yes I know how to to cut welds and have the tools)

I've started from the remnants and will build from there.

Anyone else buy there's w/ a partial trailer hitch set-up still attached?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Made from scratch

I made a trailer hitch for my E in shop class out of 2 1/2" ID square steel tubing and 1/4" steel plate the only peices that were pre-fabbed were the reciever and the ball mount cuz I didn't want to mess around with the interior welds or drilling the holes for the pin. Just used the plasma and grinder to cut holes in the plates for the tubing to rest in then mounted up everything and tacked it in place with mig welder. didn't have time to finish welding cuz tacked it last day of school so welded everything up real nice at the farm I was working at. Then I just used spray on rocker guard and mounted it up and looks pretty good

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post some pictures soon.

If someone knows what brand hitch the brackets are from it would be nice to know. However I wont be replacing it w/ a manufactured piece. I'm too far along w/ mine to back out now.

I bought a receiver tube yesterday, they're so cheap I couldn't justify putting the work into recreating one. I've used 1.5"x4"x3/16" C-channel for drop brackets, and 2"OD square tube. I'll be using 2"x2.5" angle for reinforcing gussets.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The Honda hitch is the only one I know of that has separate brackets. The basic configuration on the major hitches is the same - bolt to the frame rails on either side of the spare tire well, and a U bolt to the tow loop at the back end of the well. But they differ in how they bolt to the frame rails - which are boxes, so can't take a simple bolt all the way through.

Valley/Uhaul uses the standard hitch convention of bolting to just one side the box, using wire to fish the bolts into the box, and plate washers. Thus the bolt heads are hidden inside the box. Hidden uses long spacers, so the bolt heads are exposed on the other side. Honda went the elaborate route, and made brackets with spacers that bolt to the box, and the hitch bolts to these.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am disappointed, I thought this was about homebrewing......so sad. I guess I will go and crack open a cold one and drown my sorrow.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Some time ago someone posted pictures of a truly homemade hitch. The receiver actually passed through the rear bumper, both the backing steel and the plastic cover. I don't recall, though, how it was tied into the frame rails or spare well. The other detail that I recall was that the owner was in Alaska.

Among the 'related threads' at the bottom of the page is a good one of 'Valley installation', with instructive photos.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of a shame that it was removed before I bought it. I would have loved modifying it!

Here's the brackets.

And thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Those look like genuine Honda hitch brackets, or as the instructions call them, the right and left 'stay's. Look at the installation pdf (available from honda-accessories.com )

I don't know why the previous owner would have removed the rest of the hitch. You probably could get a full hitch kit from a Honda dealer, and mount the missing parts to these brackets. Or maybe you could find a hitch on a junked Honda.

Adapting a generic hitch to fit these wouldn't be out of the question either. The Honda hitch is rated as class1, but I think that's just because it has a small receiver. My guess is that their frame rail attachment (these brackets) is as strong, if not stronger than anyone else's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it from a dealership, I think they'd love to sell/install another hitch, and removing it was a good way to hide the fact that this E was used to pull a trailer. I noticed the 'Stays' and wiring when I was inspecting the underside before negotiating price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Class lll Hitch Install...

She's hitched up and ready to roll!! Amazin' how the extra weight smoothes out the ride.
Needed to air up the rear tires a bit ('bout 160 psi).

Added some super heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate, (note the 'Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain) Also paid-up for some BIG Number 5/16 sheet metal screws to attach the Reese hitch frame to the tailgate (see 'em there? one on each side...) Likely two more through the carpet into the floor pan inside...
Yep, probably overkill, but didn't want the possibility of having an accident.

Most of the time was spent on the front porch whittling down that MASSIVE solid pine 4x4 to fit precisely down into the hole in the ball mount receiver.

Note also - The 14'x14' piece of 3/8' plywood on the underside of the tailgate to distribute the load more evenly and beef up that tailgate support.

'A MAN CAN'T BE TOO SAFE'...!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol
I knew I was forgetting something...plywood reinforcement! Oh well I'm sure the Loc-Tite Power Grab will hold everything in place when I install it. :p

Seriously though, I'm hoping to finish the basic structure today and do a final fit test.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hit a HUGE snag...Part of my holding fixture didn't retain it's position during the welding process, (I believe it shifted when I "stuck" the welding rod to the work) and I'm now the proud creator of a crooked trailer hitch...

:x

I'll be starting over in the near future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished and installed.

I bought a used '96 GMC Jimmy hitch from a salvage yard (B&M in Waukesha if you're local to me). It's a Class 3 w/ the correct drop/drawback for the frame brackets I used (2"x4" channel) to drop from the "factory" hitch brackets.

Pics to follow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts