Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

just wanted to inform all that I came up with my own homemade tailgate seat back made from inexpensive hardware store parts.

Started with a 1" diameter piece of round wood stock (kinda like an oversized broom handle cut to appropriate length), a couple of u-bolts, and 2 roof rack surf board pads. I think all in all, I spent about $30 total (most of the cost was obtaining the surf board pads), which beats the cost of the Honda piece quite far. After assembling the pieces, I squeezed together the ends of the u-bolts & made them so they can slide into the tail gate receiever just like the Honda piece does. It is at the right heighth for your back & provides good support. Being a 1" thick piece of wood, it is pretty strong. (I had a 200 lb. buddy of mine leaning back on it, and it didn't budge) It works great !!

p.s. don't you just love my Costco box cargo organizer ??..haha)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
looks good. You could use a pool float noodle as a pad for a larger back support and to save a few bucks. They don't look as nice as the surfboard pads that you have but could be a cheaper alternative.

How about some close up shots of the u-bolts and how they attach to the gate latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are in a pinch, all you have to do is recline the back seats (60 degrees or so) and rest your back on the headrest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
close up pic of seatback attaching point

Here is a close-up shot of how the clamps go into the tailgate latch. It looks hokey, but it IS a tight fit & does NOT fall out. When it gets in there, the 2 sides of the clamp have outward spring type pressure & interference fit that it does keep it secured. I agree that a cheaper type of foam roll would've worked too, and made it even cheaper to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a really cool mod that will come in handy for me after a bike ride when I'm changing shoes and such, thanks for posting. I like the other suggestion with the pool float for a fat, cheap pad. Nice job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts