Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried it yet? Better yet has anyone here even heard of it?

This is all the info i have on it at the moment:

The new Honda ATF DW-1 will be replacing the current ATF Z-1 and is completely compatible with all Honda models.

Maybe factory fill on some if not all 2011's.

The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:
Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Better lubrication

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Reduced friction at low temperature

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Improved fuel economy

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Maintains film thickness

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Improved protection against breakdown

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]�� [/FONT][/FONT]Full synthetic, high film strength

·
Registered
751 Posts
Full synthetic, high film strength
Does that mean it is supposed to cost more?

I'm getting close to a drain and fill interval, might be worth a shot if I can mix it with Z1, otherwise, I'll just get Z1 as I don't really want to do more than a drain and fill.

·
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that mean it is supposed to cost more?

I'm getting close to a drain and fill interval, might be worth a shot if I can mix it with Z1, otherwise, I'll just get Z1 as I don't really want to do more than a drain and fill.

Might be about 50 cents to a dollar more a bottle. We were only sent the info this morning. As far as i can see so far it is backwards compatable with ATF Z1 with no flushing required.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Has anyone here tried it yet? Better yet has anyone here even heard of it?

This is all the info i have on it at the moment:
Gee willikers! If that stuff is -actually- a good synthetic and not just refined dino oil, and it can be used in place of Z1, then it's the answer to my prayers. Please keep us up to date on it, pullleeeeese?

·
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lastest on ATF DW-1

The latest info from Honda as of September 3rd:

A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]APPLICATION:
[/FONT][/FONT]Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1.
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
NOTE:
[/FONT][/FONT]When all of the transmission fluid is replaced with ATF-DW1 on a vehicle which has previously been operating with ATF-Z1, such as during a transmission or torque converter replacement, the customer may experience a change in shifting feel during cold-start at cold temperatures (below 0C). If a customer is concerned or dissatisfied with this characteristic, simply drain 1L of the ATF DW-1 and fill with 1L of ATF-Z1 to restore the original shift-feel. For this reason, you should maintain a small stock of ATF-Z1 during winter months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts