Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone, I have a question that I'm not really sure how to start troubleshooting. everything I've googled hasn't really helped

My Element is a 2007 automatic transmission all-wheel drive
I in Richmond Va, and earlier this year I had a transmission fluid leak that I was unaware of and on a short trip to NOVA one day I had a transmission failure on Interstate 95 and had to be towed the 60 miles back to Richmond. When I got home I discovered I was several quarts low on transmission fluid. I changed the fluid which was almost black and smelled burnt. I then put "Lucas transmission fix" and slowly worked it back to life. I guess I stopped driving in time before I stripped too many gears out and it has been ok since.

Flash forward a few weeks and I began experiencing the issues that I haven't been able to solve.

It first started happening to me on the highway but isn't limited to.

I'll be driving and its difficult to recreate whenever I wan but around 2500 RPM which is right before/when my gears will shift ,my car feel like I driving on rumble strips. If I accelerate at all it goes away as well if I let off the gas it goes away. The car does not lose any power just the semi-violent bucking. I really notice it on my work commute which is speed between 55-65mph. This has been going on since April, and I has been routinely checking all my fluids and I haven't seen any problems or changes.

I am at a loss and feel like I'm waiting for something major to break. I would love to fix it but have no idea where to start.

Please Help!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm not super versed with AT's as I'm a MT kinda guy but this doesn't sound like a transmission issue to me. The first thing I would check is your CV half-shafts. It sounds to me like one of them may be failing - this often shows itself as a front end vibration with symptoms similar to what you describe. Definitely check it out and get it fixed soon as you don't want one of those to fail completely on you while you are driving and if it's been going on since last spring, it's probably pretty well worn by now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were to inspect beneath the car would there be anything for me to visually check? Ie torn bushings or something?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If I were to inspect beneath the car would there be anything for me to visually check? Ie torn bushings or something?
Certainly if any of the CV boots are torn or if you see signs of grease leaking from any of the CV joints then that would be a clear sign of problems. That being said, I'm not sure a failing CV joint is always going to show such obvious signs of pending failure. You can also check them for play but given that the shimmy is happening only under a certain rpm or speed range (which is typical for half shaft issues), there's no guarantee you will feel obvious play in them either.

I'd jack up the car and first check all the rubber boots for tears and leaks. If no such problems observed, I'd yank on the shafts in all directions and see if any play evident. You may want to put a second jack under the wheel somewhere so you can raise and lower that to change the angle and alignment of the half shaft as you yank on it to see if moving it around allows any play to be more evident.

Sorry I can't be more specific about how to assess - the only time I hade a half shaft problem, the symptoms were very similar but it was obvious with a torn boot and leaking grease, so I didn't need to diagnose beyond that. Hopefully others more versed in CV joints can weigh in here on how to best assess possible issues.

How many miles on your E?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My own '08 has done a toned down version of that symptom almost since new. The transmission starts a low level shudder/buck about every twenty thousand miles if it doesn't get a drain&fill of honda transmission fluid - which fixes it again. With the damage and all, I can certainly see yours getting what you're describing from the transmission. Are you still using the transmission fluid with the lucas stuff mixed in or did you change it again?

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I got home I discovered I was several quarts low on transmission fluid. I changed the fluid which was almost black and smelled burnt. I then put "Lucas transmission fix" and slowly worked it back to life.

I'll be driving and its difficult to recreate whenever I wan but around 2500 RPM which is right before/when my gears will shift ,my car feel like I driving on rumble strips. If I accelerate at all it goes away as well if I let off the gas it goes away. The car does not lose any power just the semi-violent bucking. I really notice it on my work commute which is speed between 55-65mph. This has been going on since April, and I has been routinely checking all my fluids and I haven't seen any problems or changes.

Please Help!
If it occurs right after the upshift it is likely the torque converter shuddering when it goes into lock-up. You did not say what kind of trans fluid you used but I would drain and fill the trans with only Honda trans fluid. It may take 2 or 3 times to make a difference if it is not an internal trans or torque converter failure.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,689 Posts
My own '08 has done a toned down version of that symptom almost since new. The transmission starts a low level shudder/buck about every twenty thousand miles if it doesn't get a drain&fill of honda transmission fluid - which fixes it again. With the damage and all, I can certainly see yours getting what you're describing from the transmission. Are you still using the transmission fluid with the lucas stuff mixed in or did you change it again?
Same here. Mine started the shuddering around 15k miles.
It wasn't real noticeable at first. I did take it to the dealer, and road tested with the tech. We could not duplicate the problem.

Around 30,000 miles, and just before the warranty ended had another road test.

The tech agreed it was a converter shudder, they replaced the converter.

So fast forward to 50,000 miles. Same deal shuddering around 25 mph. I did a double fill and drain of the transmission fluid. So far so good.

Now at 70,000 miles it's time for another fluid change. It's no big deal to drain 3 qts and refill.

Now if anyone cares, the TCC shudder is well known with all manufactures.

Here at the GM store we have replaced many converters, along with flushing the fluid with 20 quarts of $400.00 Mobile 1 trans fluid, and it's still shudders.

After all that, GM just released a service bulletin that it's a normal condition, do not replace any parts or attempt to repair.... ON A $65,000 vehicle.

Crazy!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts