Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife and I have had our 2008 Element for about 6-months and would like to add a trailer hitch and then a hitch-mounted bike rack (3-4bikes). I understand from the owner's manual that the Element has a towing capacity of 1,500lbs./ 150 lb. tongue weight. However, a lot of folks seem to be attaching Class 3 hitches. Now, I don't know a lot about autos, but is it risky to get a Class 3 hitch and load it up?
Even if the hitch is built to handle the extra cargo weight, can the Element (and its back end) necessarily handle it?
I feel like I've done a great deal of research on this but am still uncertain about what the "wise" thing to do is.
Should I settle for a Class 1 hitch? Thanks to anyone who can ease my mind...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get a class 3 hitch and don't worry. Just be sure you stay within the tow limits of 1500 lbs and 150 lbs tongue weight, though many have exceeded those.

A class 1 hitch is very limiting with its 1" mount. And don't waste your $$ on an OEM hitch, get the hidden hitch online ($150 at etrailer). It will take you all of 15 minutes to install yourself.

DO get the OEM wiring harness, not the aftermarket harness. Run a search on this forum to know why.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just got a class 3 uhaul hitch for under $120. its built like a tank.

so far i've only hauled 2 bikes (40 lbs downhill bikes), but i have a buddy who always loads up a 4 bike hitch with 4 BIG bikes on it with his element.

i would definitely get a class 3 hitch. you options for add-ons with a 2" receiver will be WAY more.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The class 3 is the way to go. You will have less trouble finding what you need to fit it.

Also I agree with the U-Haul hitch. It coat me 115$, 135$ installed at U-Haul. It took less than 15 Min., for them to put it on.

P.S. don't let them install the wiring harness.

Dom

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with the comments above -- I installed a class3 hitch (from eTrailer.com) and OEM wiring harness myself instead of buying the smaller class1. The only reason was because it's much easier to adapt things to a 2" receiver than it is to a class1 1.25" receiver. I still tow the same amount (within the Element's specs) with the Class3, but I like having the sturdier mounting of the class3 hitch.

Is it overkill? Most definitely. But it can't hurt. And I don't think I've seen any posts here from users putting on Class3 hitches with the intention of dramatically exceeding the towing capacity of their Elements...most, it seems, do it for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
U-haul did my hitch and I am very happy with the Class 3. I had a class 1 before and it sucked. If you are doing the wiring harness yourself, DO IT BEFORE you install the hitch. Trust me.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I thought that this dead horse had been beaten to death for once and for all, but inevitably another newbie just won't read the FAQ and/or do a search..

Moderator - please merge with an existing thread.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I thought that this dead horse had been beaten to death for once and for all, but inevitably another newbie just won't read the FAQ and/or do a search..

Well, I don't see many new horses on a discontinued car... Still, we can enjoy the chat from new members discovering and learning from other members willing to help.

I still frequent couple other forums of discontinued vehicles and still enjoy it. One of them is the Buell group. I know I can always opt out the day I get tired or bored.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Perhaps a dead horse thread from a newbie is less of a dead horse than a "not another dead horse" complaint from a veteran.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.