Honda Element Owners Club banner

661 - 680 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I pulled up to the local dealer for a couple little parts... Had a sales person asking if I wanted to sell it on my way in the door, and a regular customer asking the same thing on my way OUT the door :-D

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here the Honda dealer uses a Mercedes van.
That rang a bell for me. The Honda dealer here uses a couple of brand new Nissan vans for parts hauling because the Odyssey's redesign made it impractical for actually hauling stuff. I bet the Nissan dealer just down the road loves the free advertising.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Certainly would be nice if Honda would produce a new vehicle similar to the E. Probably the most useful vehicle (for my purpose) that I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Certainly would be nice if Honda would produce a new vehicle similar to the E. Probably the most useful vehicle (for my purpose) that I've ever owned.
It looks like Toyota might have a fairly decent copy of the Element in the works called the U-Squared. We covered it in another thread. Keep in mind that the Toyota version looks more like the original Element prototype than the finished Element does so they'd probably have some changes in theirs too. (assuming they ever build it)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129425&highlight=

·
Moderator Eh?
12,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Really? With those 12" wheels I thought for sure it would be a hit here.
I don't think it's even legal to drive on the roads here. Some idiot tried to sound important by claiming it was the next Element attempt and then it keeps popping up every so because of interweb "journalists" who like to spread gossip instead of checking their facts.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Three feet shorter than our Elements, one foot narrower, 57 horsepower. How could that not be successful here? Oh, 68 mpg, guess we couldn't complain about the mileage anymore. I might look at importing one and carrying it in the back instead of the donut.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Three feet shorter than our Elements, one foot narrower, 57 horsepower. How could that not be successful here? Oh, 68 mpg, guess we couldn't complain about the mileage anymore. I might look at importing one and carrying it in the back instead of the donut.
drive that mini me out the back like knight rider lol

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Again with this.

Threads merged. See above.
It does prove one thing. If Honda or Toyota ever started building a decent Element replacement, there'd be a line of people eagerly waiting to buy one.

Speaking of "decent replacement" - I just saw my first HR-V wreck last week. The driver apparently dozed off at the wheel and wandered over the edge of the shoulder, probably doing sixty or so. It ran over a mile marker sign - basically a U-shaped, pressed sheet metal fence post about two inches wide - the same kind of flimsy post the local newspaper mounts their delivery tubes on. It cut right through the front, the hood, the A/C (I think) the radiator, and did some nasty things to assorted wires. The car was undrivable and leaking both black and red oil on the ground so I suspect it might even be totaled. Those things are built as bad as the Fit - total cracker-boxes.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well, DOGGONE IT! Looks like the rebirth of the Element might be closer at hand than I thought. I just found this image online of what MUST be the new Element. It has everything Honda originally said the replacement would have - a smoother shape, smaller platform, better gas mileage (I assume) and they've even managed to retain the moonroof. They've probably gotten rid of the need for the Tacata air bag inflators completely.

Better yet - for sleeping or entertainment on the beach, the entire thing is inflatable...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The difference between an Element or the U-Squared and that "thing" is that the Element is a multi-purpose, heavily adaptable vehicle that does a LOT of different things easily. This vehicle is so rigidly designed for one purpose that it's nearly a complete failure in my eyes. It's like having someone else pack your luggage with everything you could possibly need and then when you get there and start pawing trough everything to see what you've got to work with, you find out they never thought of packing a roll of toilet paper.

I don't want to find out that I've been hauling around a chair arm that dispenses chicken soup or that a handy storage space is only designed to carry wetsuits. I'm also worried about that body style ever passing US roof strength standards. If they made a lot of changes to make it pass, it'd probably end up quite different by the time it went from concept to production. I DO like the rear doors opening from the sides (impractical for production) because they do away with the big single hatch common on so many new SUV's these days. WHY would they think I'd want it opening from the top too? My Rav4 has a single door on the back but it hinges from one side and that makes a world of difference when you're in the back a lot like I am - SO much more convenient!.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, right rear visibility would really suck on that Toyota. I remember the first time I sat in an FJ Cruiser, I couldnt stop laughing and thinking "who the hell designed this?" The interior and visibility were definitely afterthoughts.

661 - 680 of 728 Posts