Honda Element Owners Club banner

681 - 700 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
That FT-4X is close to production and uses the same platform as the Toyota's C-HR. Obviously they'll get rid of the gimmicky hot/cold hatch storage boxes and hopefully put in a real center console (look at Mini's defunct crappy sliding bar center console). It's got 80-85% the storage space of an Element (similar depth, width, 80-85% height). Only bummer is no real tail-gate.

If I can't find a good deal on a used Element (I've been looking the past year) I'm buying the FT-4X.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My guess is that you will be waiting a LONG time for that to happen.
From what I'm reading in the Toyota forums, Toyota does plan to produce some version of this one fairly soon. That could be wishful thinking the way Honda Element owners did but Toyota's use of FT on the name supposedly means it's in line for production. I'd have been happy with the U-Squared - REAL happy! [sigh...]

·
Registered
445 Posts
From what I'm reading in the Toyota forums, Toyota does plan to produce some version of this one fairly soon. That could be wishful thinking the way Honda Element owners did but Toyota's use of FT on the name supposedly means it's in line for production. I'd have been happy with the U-Squared - REAL happy! [sigh...]
Unless you actually hear that from a Toyota employee yourself, I wouldn't believe anything you read on a forum.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the lack of rear visibility. Looks like a cross between and FJ Cruiser and a Scion.

Wow, right rear visibility would really suck on that Toyota. I remember the first time I sat in an FJ Cruiser, I couldnt stop laughing and thinking "who the hell designed this?" The interior and visibility were definitely afterthoughts.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Unless you actually hear that from a Toyota employee yourself, I wouldn't believe anything you read on a forum.
Toyota is now listing it as a link in the "build your next car" website. They're still listing the specs for the concept model and no date for the finished production but the general consensus on the market is a late 2018 start date. Toyota management is a different act than Honda.

Saying that, I'm extremely worried because the concept vehicle shows something like a weird electronic paddle shift lever - a deal breaker all by itself. No longer interested.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My Lexus has manual shift buttons on the steering wheel. I only have to shift that way if I choose to which I never do. I just put the shift lever in Auto mode and the only time I have used the shifter button mode was when I first bought the car.

As far as the Smart car...I call it the Stupid car since you would have to be stupid to drive something that small in the US>

·
Registered
445 Posts
So all the people who who ride motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles must be idiots?
I ride a motorcycle and a bicycle but I make sure I don't ride them as a commuter vehicle...at least anymore. Take my life in my hands every time I ride them and I have a former broken collarbone to prove it.

Friend of mine wiped out on a scooter on a wet turn and broke both of his legs and was in a hospital bed for 6 months.

So yes...those are stupid vehicles too. At least with a car, you don't pick something stupid like the size of a Smart car. Not even going to talk about how unreliable they are

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
if one already has a boat that's kept in dry storage, a plane that fits well in the hangar and a musical instrument that's never played, it might make sense to add a vehicle that's easy to park, such as a Smart car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Toyota looks great and all but you can't have a tailgate party on a bumper. I'll stick with the E. Looks badass though, way better than that joke of an E concept that floated around. One thing I with the E had stock was a stock roof rack/cage that was integrated in the design, widen and heighten the rear hatch for easier loading of large objects (I had to borrow a truck to move a piano that was 3 inches too high to fit the E), incorporate more hideaway storage compartments similar to the older Ridgelines (so many compartments... It's endless) and redesign the armrest/cooler. The cooler is somewhat a joke. Can't fit a 6 pack, although I never condone drinking and driving, it'd be nice to throw a 6 pack or growler in there or a few meals and a bottle of water, even some cold items from the market.

I'm sure this is mentioned earlier in the thread or somewhere else but I'll post this fun question; what would you add to the 2018 redesign if it ever happened?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
way better than that joke of an E concept that floated around.

I'm sure this is mentioned earlier in the thread or somewhere else but I'll post this fun question; what would you add to the 2018 redesign if it ever happened?
I probably wouldn't buy a redesign of the Element. The original vehicle was a lucky fluke for Honda and they definitely don't have the talent to produce another one. If you look at the other models they've been repeatedly "redesigning" - the new Element would have all the headroom amputated, the rear would have a lift hatch, the rear seats would have severely limited adaptability, the headlights would be even worse than the old versions, the body would be lighter and offer FAR less protection in an accident, suffer from poor visibility to the sides and back, suffer from a lot of design shortcuts so they could make it cheaper while pricing higher... and it'd be ugly as sin.

And if you're referring to that hoax story about the Honda N, it's a real vehicle and luckily, was only sold in Japan. It only LOOKS like a cartoon version Element, sharing nothing else. Trolls keep popping it up ever so often because of the way it looks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So it sounds like you listed everything you DONT want in a new element! :) you get extra credit for creativity!

That aside, it's just a lighthearted "what if" scenario where the world wasn't worried about profit margins and cutting corners. Can't beat the original design, even though I have a 2011 and to some purists, might not have been the best model made, I still use the crap out of it and would do any element owner proud! My fishing gear never comes back into the house until winter and throwing music equipment in and out for tours is something I missed in my old VW rabbit (may it burn in a firery way). Something nice about molded plastic interiors and a less futuristic interior design that make you feel you're driving something that matches your Stanley coffee mug and Coleman cooler. They would most likely ruin a good thing with a redesign, and I know some folks who are a little put off by the new Ridgeline, giving the older ones a bit more nostalgic value. So judging from Honda's recent track record, they'd eliminate most of what is good about the E to appeal to the greater consumer market (f** that noise). They said vinyl was a dead medium, now look at what happened to CD's!

In regards to the Japan model, I'm happy to know someone was crazy enough to produce that crazy thing and had the right mind to leave it out of the states. Looks like it runs on old fryer oil and AAA batteries but good lord, if you drove it even onto the shoulder, you'd either bottom out or roll the damn thing in the process. Not meant for "excursions" unless that involves shopping for citronella candles at Target for your company's annual barbecue, and you know it's adventurous when they hold it in the courtyard on a weekday. Nothing particularly wrong with that since I would enjoy Betty's Mac salad through an IV, I just wouldn't trust throwing a yak on top and pulling up to the river without the fear of a gentle splash washing it out to the middle of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
So it sounds like you listed everything you DONT want in a new element! :) you get extra credit for creativity!
Didn't have to create anything. Those seem to be the common trends Honda's been following on every updated product since the Element came out.

Don't sell out the N (I call it the Nugget) because it's a tiny vehicle designed for the special needs of Japan and they seem to like it. In the US, it'd be considered a high powered golf cart or something you could use as a toad behind an E-camper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Toyota is now listing it as a link in the "build your next car" website. They're still listing the specs for the concept model and no date for the finished production but the general consensus on the market is a late 2018 start date. Toyota management is a different act than Honda.

Saying that, I'm extremely worried because the concept vehicle shows something like a weird electronic paddle shift lever - a deal breaker all by itself. No longer interested.
Late '18? I can live with that. Toyota just trademarked the name FT-Cruiser.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Didn't have to create anything. Those seem to be the common trends Honda's been following on every updated product since the Element came out.

Don't sell out the N (I call it the Nugget) because it's a tiny vehicle designed for the special needs of Japan and they seem to like it. In the US, it'd be considered a high powered golf cart or something you could use as a toad behind an E-camper.

Agreed, Honda's track record is piss poor lately, imho, and glad you pointed that out. Lots of changes under and over the hood that I would probably breeze over the first go around so if they ever do remake it, I'll be a little more wise to the changes. Better off running my bad boy into the ground at this point and maybe jump in with it (my friend calls mine a nugget, too, better show him the picture of the Japan model).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride a motorcycle and a bicycle but I make sure I don't ride them as a commuter vehicle...at least anymore. Take my life in my hands every time I ride them and I have a former broken collarbone to prove it.

Friend of mine wiped out on a scooter on a wet turn and broke both of his legs and was in a hospital bed for 6 months.

So yes...those are stupid vehicles too. At least with a car, you don't pick something stupid like the size of a Smart car. Not even going to talk about how unreliable they are
I had the smart cabrio for a few years. I loved that car, it was nimble, got great gas mileage, and was fun to drive. I purchased it used and never had any reliability issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A Smart is half the size of a VW Mk 1 Rabbit, and gets far fewer miles per gallon (legit 50mpg diesel.) And Rabbits were fun and good looking.

681 - 700 of 728 Posts