Honda Element Owners Club banner
721 - 734 of 734 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All I ever saw promising a "second generation" was one unofficial quote from an unnamed source. I would hardly consider that a promise.

Granted... every auto manufacturer makes a CR-V like vehicle, we'll have plenty of options when it finally is time to replace my wife's car, Honda is not ruled out yet. As for me and my Element... I'll hold on to it as long as it is practical but once I need something to do "more" with, I doubt Honda will have a vehicle I'd be interested in.
Boooo... I'll just have to keep mine going until I can afford a Land Rover LR_. I need a vehicle with over 40" of rear entry space/clearance for work and I am not about to drive a van like all my co-workers. LR3/LR4 are the only other real option but with twice the sticker price and a fraction of the reliability, it's not much of an option. *sigh*

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still own my 07 and still love it. I too will use until the end, but the only replacement I can see is the new Passport, The price needs to come down a bit, though. I also do not see Honda pushing this vehicle at all, much like they did with the Element.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
I bought my Element EX new in 2005 and even after 14 years there is still no other vehicle out there that compares to it. I will continue to happily drive it for years to come! ;) ? ~Chief

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boooo... I'll just have to keep mine going until I can afford a Land Rover LR_. I need a vehicle with over 40" of rear entry space/clearance for work and I am not about to drive a van like all my co-workers. LR3/LR4 are the only other real option but with twice the sticker price and a fraction of the reliability, it's not much of an option. sigh

That 40" vertical cargo clearance is really handy. I've thought about the LR4 too but for the same reasons (price, reliability) I'm looking elsewhere. I know you dislike vans but have you looked at "City-Vans" like the Ford Transit Connect? 50" vertical cargo clearance, 48" interior space between wheels, you could fit a pallet back there. But you'd look like an electrician on a service call wherever you go lol. There's also a passenger version with rear windows that you could remove the seats, I'm REALLY looking at one of those.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,604 Posts
Is this true? Honda Element to return???
We can dream all we want, but............It Ain't Happenin'! : - (

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
This same website is reporting a 2020 Accord coupe hybrid is coming. The Accord coupe was killed off 2 years ago.

This same story gets posted every year about the upcoming Element. The info in the story never changes.

Honda is going to sell 400,000 Crvs in North America plus anothe 100,000 Hrvs.

They dont need to build a new Element.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not much has been written about the Dodge Journey as a replacement for the Element. Since I have now purchased a new 2020 SE, I can offer some comparisons.
The seat height is about 3-4 inches lower, due to lower ground clearance. Much easier to get in and out of. Back seat passenger access is great- child car seat access is superior, too.-- 3rd row seating a plus for many.
I can't sit down in back without my head touching the headliner. It about 5" lower than the Element. I am 5'-8" tall.
You do have more lay-down room behind the front seats in the back of the Journey- 6'-4" worth- about 8" more than the E. If you want a vehicle to put a stealth bed in back, it's doable with this car.
Driver visibility is better than the Element, because the Journey's sloping side pillars do not obstruct the side view and rear visibility is very good- plus it has a backup camera!
Center console does not allow you to go the the back from the front seat.
V6 engine option with 6 speed transmission until the 2020 model- a plus for those who need the extra power- an AWD option was available until 2020.
The base 4cyl is 2.4L, which is what I have. It's 174hp, vs 160hp on the 2005 Element I owned- Torque increases by 5, to 166 ft lbs.. The Element appeared to be geared lower and accelerated a bit faster than my Journey.
mpg- I got around 19-20 mpg in town/suburban with my 2.4L auto Element- maybe 22 if it was a trip at 65mph
The 4 cyl Journey is rated similar in town, but on the freeway, you can achieve 26-27 if you are a careful driver.
The gasoline tank has a 20.5 gal capacity about 1/3 more capacity.
Tow rating is only 1000 lbs with the 4cyl Journey (2500 with the V6) . I'll let you decide how much is safe to tow with an Element that has 100,000-200,000+ miles on the odometer.
Roofline is a lot lower- I can see over the top, which I could not do with my Element. I have roof rack carrier I never used on the Element due to the height issue. I think I can use it with the Journey.
No folding tailgate. A very handy feature on the Element- unless you were trying to retrieve grocery bags that had slid forward.
Technology-I have rear clearance warning sensors on the bumper, hands free bluetooth calling, a backup camera and Sirius XM on the standard 4.3"radio in my base SE model. You can get a more features on the 8.4 radio. Carplay and Android auto were not offered on the Journey.
Comfort- I give the points to the Journey. The power seat and electric lumbar adjustments are nice- an 8" longer wheelbase is a plus if you are not going off road. Rear seat heat and A/C vents are standard on the 2020.
Utility value- the points go to the Element.
Technology- the Journey. --Hands Free calling is a necessity in many areas.
Reliability- the Dodge Journey- you can buy a new one right now with up to a $4250 rebate until Feb 1st and have many years of trouble free driving with a warranty. The timing chain does not need replacement on the 2.4L engine for at east 150,000 miles and there are no valve adjustments needed.
Insurance- the Element was one of the most expensive vehicles I have ever insured. The Journey is about 20% cheaper than the 2010 T&C minivan I traded in.

Buying a lower mileage ( around 100K miles now) used Element is very difficult and prices are excessive.
About 275,000 Elements were sold in the USA- and by the time the last 2020 Journey is sold the number will be almost one million Journeys that have been sold in the USA. The odds of finding that low mileage AWD V6 are very good. I see many former rental 2019 Journeys for sale right now for around $15K on the Cargurus website

·
Registered
193 Posts
My wife and I just finished a 2800 mile round trip to Texas to see our grandchildren and back to our home in SW Florida in our new 2020 Journey. It was a good road trip for us. We could also fit 4 adults, two tall teenage girls and a 4 yr old girl into the 7 seats in Texas. Rear seat A/C worked good. I had no problems keeping up in traffic with the 172hp 2.4L 4cyl engine and 4speed automatic.
I averaged 30.3 mpg for the first 250 miles of the trip, then it all went downhill, due to head winds, some hills, and traffic backups.- 26.3 by the time we got to Texas. The return trip had smooth traffic and no headwinds giving me a final average of 29.2 mpg. When I owned my 2005 Element I found out it didn't like crosswinds or head winds. It was a relaxed drive for me. 2450 rpm was 70 mph. - I could keep up in the left lane at 82 mph at 2900 rpm and that was easy as can be.
The power lumbar driver's seat worked to reduce fatigue- my last day from Baton Rouge was 15 hrs long.
In short, I can completely recommend this vehicle with the 2.4L engine to anyone who needs to replace their aging Element. I had to go off road one time- taking a rutted shortcut around road construction through a vacant field to get to our hotel in TX to avoid an 8 mile mile detour.- There was enough ground clearance to do it. The Dodge Journey has been discontinued and I don't expect the new merged company, called Stellantis to field a replacement. They are still offering big rebates and 0% 7 year loans on the last 2020s in stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife and I just finished a 2800 mile round trip to Texas to see our grandchildren and back to our home in SW Florida in our new 2020 Journey. It was a good road trip for us. We could also fit 4 adults, two tall teenage girls and a 4 yr old girl into the 7 seats in Texas. Rear seat A/C worked good. I had no problems keeping up in traffic with the 172hp 2.4L 4cyl engine and 4speed automatic.
I averaged 30.3 mpg for the first 250 miles of the trip, then it all went downhill, due to head winds, some hills, and traffic backups.- 26.3 by the time we got to Texas. The return trip had smooth traffic and no headwinds giving me a final average of 29.2 mpg. When I owned my 2005 Element I found out it didn't like crosswinds or head winds. It was a relaxed drive for me. 2450 rpm was 70 mph. - I could keep up in the left lane at 82 mph at 2900 rpm and that was easy as can be.
The power lumbar driver's seat worked to reduce fatigue- my last day from Baton Rouge was 15 hrs long.
In short, I can completely recommend this vehicle with the 2.4L engine to anyone who needs to replace their aging Element. I had to go off road one time- taking a rutted shortcut around road construction through a vacant field to get to our hotel in TX to avoid an 8 mile mile detour.- There was enough ground clearance to do it. The Dodge Journey has been discontinued and I don't expect the new merged company, called Stellantis to field a replacement. They are still offering big rebates and 0% 7 year loans on the last 2020s in stock.

If you are luck you may get to have somebody what to buy it from for 25 % of what you pay for it . It is a fiat ! I think it is crazy to tell Honda owner about a fiat !

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honda Elements are fading away, due to the cost of repairs. The Chrysler 41te transmission design is over 20 years old and is very reliable. You can buy a good used transmission for $500. The 2.4L World engine was built for many years too. I have looked and looked and this World engine seems to have only one VVT issue- the VVT solenoid sometimes fails. It's a timing chain engine, but due to the lower engine RPM ( compared to the Honda) , the chain on this engine will normally last 250,000 miles. No valve adjustments either.
Honda designed the transmission used in the Element to avoid paying royalties to Borg Warner. Each speed has it's own set of gears and shift mechanism= that is why they are so expensive to overhaul. Many people sold their Elements as soon as they had children as having more than 4 seats was desirable. I had no issues driving the Journey at 80 mph- the Elements comfort zone for me was 70 mph- and semi trucks never fazed the Journey.. Having 7 seats when we needed them was great.
The main issue for me was I finally realized I was not comfortable driving a high mileage Honda Element on a long trip and my wife refused to drive it. I loved that Element's tailgate= it was my portable workbench .
If you want a NEW 7 passenger SUV for around $21k to 24K that a car nut can work on himself after the warranty runs out, then there is nothing I consider affordable on the market right now in the 2021 model year..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope that you are happy with your fiat suv. I understand you like fiat suv. But if a person wants a good suv get a Toyota Highlander or a RAV-4. The Highlander you can buy with a 4 cyl my wife has had two highlander with 4 cyl both had room for 7 people and could get 24 to 28 mpg and could drive down the road at 80 mph all day long. We both know a Toyota will run with no problems for 300,000 plus miles and has the cheap parts and cheap to repair if you need it. My wife never want to drive my Elements( I have owned 6 Element and will be pick-up number 7 the first of April) I have found people like to try and justify what they buy I wish you alot of luck with your fiat suv and hope you find a fiat owner club

721 - 734 of 734 Posts