Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, this isn't about the Element per se, but about Honda in general....

My wife was rear-ended last night -- she drives a '98 Accord -- and now we're dealing with the insurance company...

Of course, they want to do everything as cost efficienty as possible, and that might mean not using "Honda Genuine Collision Parts," in fact, I can almost guarentee that it means using some third-party aftermarket parts. I've been looking all over the place to find out what sort of rights we have to insist that the replacements are of such a type and such a quality, etc. Specifically, we'd like to use LKQ parts (from other used Accords) or OEM parts....

Does anyone here know of any resources where I can find the answers?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whether or not the insurance company uses OEM parts, you still should get a diminished value payout. What you need to do is get the car appraised after the work is done, to find out how much less the car is worth because of the accident and level of repair. With a signed doc stating that amount, request the insurance company re-emburse you for the loss in value. They have to pay! When our 99 civic got hit 2 months after we roled off the lot, we got $7000 in diminished value re-embursement. Mention diminished value, and the insurance company might think twice about putting in substandard parts. If the insurance company resists paying (and they will) look up your State's Department of Insurance. The DOI can revoke a companies right to operate in the state if they refuse to pay. Good Luck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, Insurance companies can refuse to pay for OEM parts, as long as the other parts are of the same quality. There are other rules that govern insurance companies, and they are a bit different from state to state. Do check with your insurance agent. See what is covered, and what is not. You can get insurance (depending on the state) that will only provide you with OEM parts, but it of course is a few bucks more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies; that's a great idea keymonkey... i might try to use that as some leverage....

the more research that I do, the more that I'm convinced that OEM parts are the only right choice and that it's almost criminal that the insurance companies can impose cheaper (quality and price) parts on people. sure, I can pay the difference, but why should I have to? I (or in this case, my wife) didn't do anything wrong, so now we have to be appeased with an inferior replacement?

The best quote I saw on this was from Consumer Reports, which did a story on this very topic in Feb 1999.

"CAPA's quality-standards manual requires only 'functionally equivilant' parts. Such a careful choice of words is significant: A Saturn may be functionally equivilant to a BMW, but the two are hardly equal."

One reason we got a Honda was because of the quality.... Now the insurance company gets to replace it with a non-Honda part? Not cool....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts