Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the HG oil? Or know who makes it? I have heard mixed reviews about it and conflicting stories on who makes it or more specificly what it is. I have heard that its just rebadged mobile clean 5000 and I have also heard that its exxon superflow. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use it religiously. I believe the bottle says Mobil on the back label. I've also heard that Mobil's parent company is Exxon but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
there was a debate earlier when i wanted to use the geniune synthetic Honda oil..... my understanding it was just a rebadged cheap oil...... that is not as good as Amsoil or Mobil 1

·
Registered
523 Posts
As is with most contracts, victory goes to the lowest bidder. Let Honda make cars, and let oil companies make your oil.

NOS: even if it is produced by ExxonMobil, don't assume it is the same quality. They probably manufacture several brands of varying quality at the same facility.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I know that citgo was making it for yamaha,mercury,omc, I think honda but not positive. they were not all the same oil.each manufacture has defrent problems that need a defrent blend. yamaha had wrist pin problems in the 90"S mercury had bearing& ring problems,omc had piston gualding problems.& the wallmart brand marine oil was killing all three types of engines. just because it has all the specs dosent mean it is any good. so if there are no major problems It's probly not to special.I will be useing castrol edge full synthetic. I used mobil in my montaro that I just traded for my E.because the oil pressure was getting low.&a few years back I seem to remember the faa pulling mobil from aircraft use. + my montaro was getting sludge in it.synthetic is not supost to do that.3000-4000 in between changes. always used kendall in racecar, castrol in street car mobil in car. I think it will be castrol&kendall blend in my E . since the introduction of roller cams in everything produced now the oil has changed a lot since 1984( I think thats the year) no more zincdisomethen or another.for the flat tappets that slid across the cam. (epa also wanted it gone&that helped it to go) so if you have an older car like my vw bug,or 340 duster,YOU NEED TO USE AN ADDTIVE,or "snake oil" pro blend,redline ,lucas ,any of the major manufactures will usuly do fine. try to staway from teflon in greese or oil addtive.it can and will kill needle&roller&ball bearings. if your old chevy or ford dosent have any ball,needle roller bearings (mostly in roller rockers)it will be fine & is actuly good for older rod&main bearings but dont use if you have a oil cooler of the plate type they can clog it & cant be cleaned out very well. the greese can kill ujoints,wheelbearings etc.(the teflon as small as it is it can take up the clearance & kill the bearings)I think that is why you dont see slick 50 to much any more.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i use nothing but high rpm quaker, my gas mileage improved, it runs smoother, and revs quicker. Just my $.02

·
Registered
28 Posts
honda oil is made by mobil, if your getting your oil changed at the dealership your gonna get what ever bulk oil they have on tap

·
Registered
357 Posts
Funny. I took note of the fact that my dealership was using Castrol GTX.

I wonder if there is supposed to be a standard?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny. I took note of the fact that my dealership was using Castrol GTX.

I wonder if there is supposed to be a standard?
yea Ive seen them use castrol, penzoil, mobil, valvoline .... I think it all comes down to what is readily available for the best price, but idk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to a cool guy at the parts counter at my local Honda dealer yesterday and he said that the oil is made by mobil and he wasent sure if it was just repackaged or if it was specificly formulated for Honda but he did say that he had seen engines torn down that had only used Honda oil and said that they looked new inside. No signs of varnish, sludge, or staining. He seemed honest enough and wasent trying to be a slick salesman or anything. Although when I asked him about price and told him that lately I had been ordering online for Honda parts he told me that if I wanted to buy cases he could make me a sweet deal. I think I'm going to go for it in a few weeks when its time to change my oil again.

·
Registered
874 Posts
interesting,if every thing looked perfect why was the engine tore down? does the parts guy actuly know what he was looking at? thats sort of like the 4 pro's that have redone the roof on my house 5 times or might be 6 times in 2 months. man it looks great!!! the first 4 times it was a concreat guy&dry wall guy doing it,(it was an addtion or an abortion take your pick,& I am trying real hard not to go to jail for choaking the $#!+ out of a few pepole including my self) oops alittle off topic. I would go with a defrent oil than mobil 5000.whitch is what my local honda dealer has it is a cheep oil I use it for break in oil for 20-30 minutes max then change oil& filter go out and stab it a few times & wind it up a little 5000-7000 progressively .to seat the rings. no farther breakin is required & do it again the next day,then put in the good oil,but dont use synthetic for at least 300 miles depending on the piston rings& hone job. with modern engines there is nothing but the rings to be broken in(seated)and if the hone job was done correctly after the first couple of pulls(hard runs at wot progressely going neer red line or the max that it will see ) the rings are seated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts