Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tread will document the build of our high mileage SOP '03 Element into a post apocalyptic ride - comments welcome. Plan is to remove the doors, hack off the roof, add a roll cage and front brush guard and lots of lights.:-D

Here is the starting point. We have owned our E since 2005. Back then our daughters were in car seats - we roadtripped through the desert SW and Cali and have great memories of the E through the years. It is now approaching 240,000 miles and still running well.

And here is drawing of what it will look like when its done. It's a great way for our E to finish out its golden years - not fade away...

More detail about the planning is on another tread
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130217

So the first step is to gut the interior - most of the plastic pieces just pull off with a good tug. Took a few hours to get to this point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
wow. will def check back

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As much as I hate to see it get cut up, I can't wait to see it get cut up.

My mechanic and I have been contemplating some ways to add some serious lift to an E. If you're gonna go all mad max you'll need some big ass knobby tires right? Yours is an AWD. Whadda ya think?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mcdirty's a good guy. Helped me out a few times with tough jobs. Looking forward to this beast.

Btw..what're you doing with all the parts you're removing?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Btw..what're you doing with all the parts you're removing?
Amen, brother.

What are you doing with the parts you end up removing? I need the front part of a roof something serious (PGH rust, I'm afraid) and i KNOW somebody is trying to get up on those OEM side steps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Was a busy day at the Honda Hack - lots of help from McDirtyMetal again - we had the roof off in about an hour. It was a big job to cap the openings - Lou did a great job welding. Thanks to Chris, John, Nick and Stephanie for moving things forward on the front and rear ends. And my neighbor Marty for taking her for another spin around the block.

PM me if you want some of the parts coming off - side steps are staying and both front fenders are spoken for.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Need to get some support in there before you alter the suspension characteristics. A wheel alignment is going to be in order.U wouldn't do too many around the block runs until you have roll cage in place, just saying. I don't need the front fender as everything buffed out, but I still would like the right rear lower rocker panel. Looking good!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Day Three and McDirtyMetal came by again and we got a start on the roll cage and made mounts for a horizontal bar out of the lower door hinges. Bill & Kelly stopped by and mounted the new turn signals and harvested the seat belts and side impact sensors from the rear doors. I spent a few hours messing with a cheap tubing notcher too...

There is a surprising amount of structure in the sills - when I made the first cut in the roof, there was no movement between the front and rear, but it will be nice to have it all tied together. Took two tries with the tubing bender to get the first front to rear piece right. Roll cage will be 7 pieces - it going to cover the front seats - I sketched a up few concepts and it's the best for looks and won't take too long to build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! Surprised at how fast you work and how close to your 'render' it is already. Kudos! Something about round headlights that just makes everything look so damn cool

1 - 20 of 141 Posts