Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also like the T bolt style. The amazing thing about the Honda set up is they seem to always orient the little release prongs in the direction that is impossible to get a tool on...

Must be a ploy to get me to use the dealer service department!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
the special tool/pliers make it easy to install & remove 'em. I've been looking for some decent ratching ones that don't cost $50-$100.

A set of Matcos are about $200.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,697 Posts
There are several tools available to remove and install the spring clamps.

The good part is they never loosen up and leak like the 'stainless worm-gear type'. They always keep constant tension no matter the temps.

Most home mechanics just toss the spring ones....and deal with tightening up when they have leaks.

Best thing ever invented for a hose clamp.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the special tool/pliers make it easy to install & remove 'em. I've been looking for some decent ratching ones that don't cost $50-$100.

A set of Matcos are about $200.
I've never seen specific tools for them. I have a set of "hog ring" pliers that work but they're far from perfect.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are several tools available to remove and install the spring clamps.

The good part is they never loosen up and leak like the 'stainless worm-gear type'. They always keep constant tension no matter the temps.

Most home mechanics just toss the spring ones....and deal with tightening up when they have leaks.

Best thing ever invented for a hose clamp.
I wouldn't argue that they work well. I believe the criteria for a well designed part includes ease of use with common tools. Honda clamps have us discussing $200 tools and I don't think anyone would argue they're easy to work with.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I shoulda spent the $200 years ago when I had it. ;-)

They woulda paid for themselves in frustration over and over. (on other cars besides the E too)

Thats how it is w/ quality tools. I've "gotten by" with crap stuff when necessary, but the longer I have the decent stuff (and the more I use 'em) the better a deal they seem to be.

For now I'll make do w/ regular pliers...."Linemans Pliers" work ok. Maybe when my kid gets a job he'll buy me some. ;-)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoulda spent the $200 years ago when I had it. ;-)

They woulda paid for themselves in frustration over and over. (on other cars besides the E too)

Thats how it is w/ quality tools. I've "gotten by" with crap stuff when necessary, but the longer I have the decent stuff (and the more I use 'em) the better a deal they seem to be.

For now I'll make do w/ regular pliers...."Linemans Pliers" work ok. Maybe when my kid gets a job he'll buy me some. ;-)

Yeah, I tend to be a bit of a tool ***** myself. However, my Italian bike collection has yet to include an Aprilla. Sold my '74 Ducati 750 a while back but I still have my Laverda 1000 3C.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Lisle and KD tools both make more affordable spring-clamp pliers that are still high quality. And yes-Honda does put the clamps in some tough to release orientations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts