Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very good news. ASP (a lock manufacturer) is now offering a Honda ignition lock cylinder to locksmith suppliers. So far it covers the Accord, Element 03-11, CRV, Fit 07-11, Odyssey 05-10 and Pilot 05-08. This means that we're no longer stuck buying the entire steering column lock assembly, to the tune of about $290 to $350. It is just the core of the lock, the part I show being removed and repaired in my "key won't turn" thread. It's also cheap enough for me to have no problem keeping them in stock at all times so the job isn't dragged out over days waiting for parts to arrive and at a more reasonable price. If you are in a situation where you have to have yours replaced, bring this up to the locksmith, I would hope they would entertain the idea and not insist on charging upwards of $500 to fix these anymore.

cheers
Pierre

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to know. I just paid $180 to have locksmith out and pull the cylinder for me. Getting one of the drop pins that holds cylinder in housing was a pain, and I just have an apartment so didn't' feel too bad paying to have someone with experience bang it out in 30 minutes. But between watching a video on the same, and hearing about this part, feel I could replace or just remove a bad wafer in the future, now. Thought I'd add to this post with what I saw....
  • Over time, it appears dust,etc can result in wafers not moving as smoothly; then jamming a key in bends a sticky wafer/tumbler and lock wont turn or key won't go in easily. Other problems may be at issue, like an automatic transmission not fully engaged to park position. (Use the console release to work it through the gears to Park.).
  • If key still wont go in, be gentle. Jamming of key in would just damage cylinder and wafers all the more. I was able to jiggle it gently in once and get cylinder to turn, but not twice (I watched a video where a guy used a thin fingernail file to same effect...and was then able to insert key...); the raking of the pins/wafers essentially loosened them for one or more starts, but advised get it in for refurb or replacement. Needing a reliable repair, I called a mobile locksmith.
  • The Locksmith that came out and for $180, removed the cylinder, removed the bad wafer, and put back together in 30 minutes. Key goes in and starts just fine. .If I had taken it to my locksmith, pricing was less depending on who removed the ignition..
  • Presumably, a similar sized key could also go in now and turn but not start the ignition, because vehicle uses a transponder in key as well for my year / make, so supposedly couldn't start with another key.
  • The hardest thing was getting a drop pin out that held the key cylinder in the ignition housing. Locksmith used an extractor tool with a little leverage /pressure applied by a small punch along side it after removing the ignition housing from the steering column.
Hope this helps others avoid the $500 to $800 "replacement pitch" at dealers. Please update this with thread with other helpful tips to the removal process.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The dealership here would undoubtedly use the inexpensive core and then charge for the complete unit AND probably 4-6 hours labor. After they botched the repair and I had to come back, they'd try to tell me that the car can't be fixed and I should trade it in on a new Honda Crapfire or similar. If I ever need the lock rebuilt, I think I'll do better towing the whole thing to Florida to get the work done right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts