Honda Element Owners Club banner

honda magical fluids!!!!

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Twilightzero 
#1 ·
why does everyone on here think that all of hondas fluids are magical? Is it because the manual says so?? In my experiance and I dont claim to be an expert, honda fluids are no good! They admitidly screwed up the dual pump fluid for the first few years it was out. If you search the forum you'll also find that in the 05's they screwed up the antifreeze and have had problems with them clogging radiators. So why does eveyone say that you have to use z1 atf? who's to say that thats not screwed up as well? The book also says to use honda brake fluid! dot three brake fluid is dot three brake fluid so to me that is evidence that they just say that you have to use their stuff. I recently flushed my radiator since mine is an 05 and I dident want it to plug and it was already makeing a weird gurgling sound when turning. I figured honda had its chance so I use the 50/50 premix prestone universal. All while being paranoid because my honda owners manual says to only use honda. Its now a month later and I can tell you with absolute certainty that my gurgle sound is gone and that when the radiator turns on the water pump runs much quieter.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome, Ryland,

You're right about gen1 Dual Pump Fluid and the coolant debacle (which AFAIK Honda hasn't completely owned up to yet).

The claimed advantage of the Honda coolant is long-term protection of the aluminum and other alloys; thus a corrosive coolant might seem fine but will cause cause problems down the road. I'm no scientist, but figure that since my E uses so little of anything, there's no harm into buying into the myth and spending a little extra for OEM coolant—especially as the holder of an extended warranty. Same goes for brake and ps fluid, both very low-volume items. IMO Dual Pump II is a must, as is the specified MT fluid. AT fluid sounds like a candidate for a just-so formulation, too.

Heh, I do draw the line on oil, washer fluid and glass cleaner, for goodness' sake, and occasionally persist in making fun of Honda's insistence on using OEM everything.

#3 ·
The radiator has an on switch? That's news to me.

By the way it's not just Honda that does that. My Benz also has the same thing. As does the Chevy. It's not unique to Honda in any way. I cant speak for all brands, but all the cars I have had in the past 50 years, all call for that brands fluids.

There are some things that Honda does that are unique. The duel pump fluid for one thing. Do not use another brand. You will be sorry. It would be a costly experiment on your part. I have seen the result of the wrong type of fluid being put into the rear differential. Wile at the dealer, a woman with a CRV that she had serviced at Jiffy lube came in. She had noise from the front end when turning. I listened to her story quietly. They took her car before mine because she was making all kinds of noise. ( They did ask if I would mind the wait.) But there coffee is good and they have outstanding blueberry muffins for free. So I waited. About 20 minutes later they came out with parts on a tray. The clutch packs were JUNK! I got to see them.

Use what you think is best. Just stay away from the Cheep stuff.

Dom

#4 ·
Honda fluid is magic man... I use honda oil and window cleaner. The car would fly if only I drank Honda Kool-Aid.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, if I can't find a reliable aftermarket alternative to a Honda fluid, then I would suggest sticking to the Honda stuff.

Like you said, dot 3 is dot 3. Just like 5w20 is 5w20. There maybe some stuff that Honda formulated specifically for their cars. In that case, I'd recommend that you keep using that. For everything else, use what you feel is best. I'm sure you'd get as many different recommendatations as there are products.

#5 ·
Glad to hear that the prestone antifreeze is working well.

I agree with all of the above replies and I will just add that concerning the mishaps of the dual pump, antifreeze, AND washer fluid... nobody's perfect.:|

It's mostly about selling the brand with a little compatability thrown in for good measure. I'll be using honda fluids at least until the warranty is up. I'll prolly keep using them anyway. Really what is the difference between a 16.00 jug of 50/50 vs an 11.00 jug of 50/50? I think blue pigment costs more. I'll admit getting to my dealer to get it is kind of a drag but I can say that if my cooling system goes I can point at honda instead of them pointing at me.

#6 ·
I'll echo the above sentiments for the most part. The Honda antifreeze is specifically formulated to not cause problems with aluminum blocks. If you DO use an antifreeze by accident that's not specifically meant for Al blocks, you can eat your block up and clog all sorts of things.

The Dual Pump fluid is unique to Honda and AFAIK only Honda makes it. Don't use something else or you will be VERY unhappy. Dom, where's the pics of the clutch packs? I wanna see!!

The MT fluid I've heard waffling back and forth on. Certainly it's the safest option to use the OEM stuff, but I've heard of at least several people going 50/50 and even straight with higher end aftermarket stuff. A lot of that has to do (don't quote me on this) with how the synchronizers work in the Honda trannies.

Brake fluid is brake fluid as long as it's got the same rating. Same with oil, washer fluid, etc.

Remember, your mileage may vary :D

#7 ·
I tend to stick with honda fluid except for engine oil.

However, I did use an Al-free, Silicate-free prestone in my Prelude for over 130k miles. It was the auto transmission that gave out in that car, not the radiator though.

#10 ·
Sorry Spam wrong thread, the Shamwow/Billy Mays thread is thataway -----> :razz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.