Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I posted about the problems that we had with our new 2008 Element EX. At that time I was satisfied with the warranty work that Honda of Decatur had done on our E. All of that changed today.
There was an accident on 6th Ave today just a few cars in front of me. I was only going about 30mph and I had to panic stop. The brake pedal sank to the floor and I thought that me E was not going to stop in time. The brake pedal was not mushy, it sank all the way to the floor.Thankfully it did stop in time.
I was pretty shook up about this and I went straight to the service dept. at HOD. I was going to wait untill my first oil change to bring up the brake problem with them AGAIN, but after what had just happend, I felt that I could not wait.
I told them what had just happend and I more than a little angry. I asked them why they did not follow the TSB on the brake issue like they said they would. HOD refused to admit that there was even a problem with my brakes and that I would have to meet with the Dist. rep again. I told them that was unacceptable because the last time I met with him he told me that there were no problems with my brakes and refused to fix them, he only allowed the service dept. to bleed them. He did not care what the TSB said about the problem and in HIS opinion, they were fine. They would ONLY bleed the brake lines, nothing more. By this time I was pretty ticked off.
I went to my E and made a phone call to get some legal advice from a friend of my brother. He told me to go back inside and ask the Service mgr. to put in writing why he would not fix my new E as per the TSB. The service mgr. hit the roof when I asked him to do this in writing and asked me to leave. I said that I would not leave until the matter was resolved. I even offered to buy the part myself and then let Honda reimburse me at a later date. He did not like that idea. I had to meet with the Dist. rep again to see if Honda would follow the TSB. By this time I was livid. Words were exchanged and tempers rose. All I wanted to do was to get my NEW Elements brakes fixed and the service guys acted like the problem was all in my head. TSB, what TSB. Silly man, don't you know that all Honda brakes are mushy.
Later on in the day my wife and I went to a Toyota dealer that we had bought new cars from in the past and had always been treated very well. We traded in our E with 2600 miles on her and bought a new 2009 Toyota Rav4. We may have some problem with the Rav4 in the future, but given our past relationship with the Toyota dealership, I feel like I will never be treated like I was at HOD.
I will NEVER buy another car from any Jerry Damson dealership and I will go out of my way to make sure my friends do the same. Honda build some of the best cars on the road, but ours just had a few more problem than we are willing to deal with. I am just thankful that we were able to trade in the E on another new car and not have it hurt us financially. Many people would be stuck with it.
All I wanted was to just have my brakes repaired. If they would have just fixed them everything would be alright. But no, they would not step up to the plate and they have lost a customer for life. I have spent thousands of dollars in their shop on our Del Sol too, never again.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with the problem with that dealer but I took mine in for the same problem on Monday and the parts man here tells me that the part needed to fix your mushy brakes (brake modulator) can't be had anywhere in the US - not one in stock anywhere and no idea if or when Honda is going to get them back in stock. He called me the very next day and said they think they found ONE in a warehouse in California and it's on order now but no idea if there's a real part left or somebody forgot to update a computer record.

Sounds to me like the dealer you're working with knows it or doesn't know it but they were dumping a load of manure on it regardless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts