Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the discussion, I was concerned that this info would get lost in the clutter, so here is a new thread with pictures of three filters' internals for an easy side-by-side comparison.

Top is the Filtech/Wix/Dana-sourced filter, Honda part #15400-PLM-A01. Second is the Honeywell/Fram-sourced filter, Honda part #15400-PLM-A02. The bottom is the Fram PH7317, the aftermarket version specified for the Element.

Especially valuable is the comparison between the -A02 and the PH7317 - the only readily apparent difference being the anti-drainback valve (orange valve is of silicone composition, black is nitrile rubber).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks, Now the big question. After you have done your dissecting. Does it make a really big difference using the A-01 filter? I realize Fram is junk & it looks like the A-02 is the same. Do you think the A-01 will still be around or is it being replaced by the A-02? Do we need to go buy some now while they are still around?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I can state unequivocally that the A01 filters are no longer available on Long Island. I called 8 dealers the other day in Nassau and Suffolk County. James (Genom) called the dealers farther East and we both heard the same thing... no more A01s they were replaced by the A02.

I purchased 4 A02 filters 9+ months ago at my dealer here for a good deal of buy 3 get 1 free with free crush washers.

If I were you I would call your local dealers and see what you can get from them...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I'm only sad it took MikeQBF over a year to cut those puppies apart. He's been obessing on this for well over a year, and oddly one of the stranger reasons why I ended up coming to terms with him. That, and his forking out his own money to finally buy an Element. :grin: You can run Mike, but you can't hide! :twisted:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a memory! :grin:

There was no reason to do it then. After I bought the filters, we discovered that H&A already had a page showing the differences between the "old" Honda/Fram and the "new" Honda/Wix/Filtech (which we now know as -A01).

This is a whole new project prompted by the "new" Honda/Fram/Honeywell (-A02). The only one left over from last year was the Wix - I had already pitched the Fram, and had to spend good money after bad just to have one to slice-up. :roll:

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts
Well, at work Ive seen both filters come through all the time. They just have different numbers because of different manufactures. They also come in waves. Usually about a month or two sometimes longer. They have always had two companies making them. Also if they look in the computer for an A01 it will only show A02s because of ease of billing and keeping track of stock. They would have to physically look at the filters to see if they say Honneywell or Filtech.

Also, the honda Honneywell filter element looks better that the orange Fram. I wonder if it is actually the fram Dual Guard or whatever they call it.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>Also, the honda Honneywell filter element looks better that the orange Fram.

:?

In what way? In person they are identical, save the silicone anti-drainback and the Honda custom base gasket. You can't tell the difference in filter area until you sit down and count pleats.

But I guess the Honda/Honeywell filter will look better... if you like blue. :grin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well Mike,
I hope you're happy(smile). After reading your review of the oil filter I had to go seek them out just as you suggested. Thanks to the NY folks who did the leg work.....so I went and hit the web. H and A lists a oil filter..pic of label on can is obliterated after 15400-plm-XXX and check out item number same so I left it alone. Second stop..Majestic Honda. They listed exact part number (@ $4.88) so I ordered "5"..count them.
I just wanted to thank you and the other members of EOC for helping me to become an "educated consumer" and my baby another pampered "E"!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>H and A lists a oil filter..pic of label on can is obliterated after 15400-plm-XXX and check out item number same so I left it alone.

FWIW, in one of the other threads, our contact at H&A mentions that they just received a huge order of the good (-A01) filters, and that's what they will be shipping unless you request the -A02. Obviously, they know the difference and are working hard on our behalf.

I think they had to blur the part number because for a (thankfully short) while they weren't sure if they were going to be able to promise the -A01 filter. Apparently Honda ships whatever they're going to ship, more or less leaving the dealer parts departments flapping in the breeze. :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing Honda would risk its reputation for building reliable engines that go 350 K with routine maintenance in order to save a few cents on oil filters. The owner's manual claims these cheesy little oil filters are good for 20 K. A trip to the auto parts store shows the filter manufacturers claim that different filter media filter at different rates. Surely Honda must have engineering data to back up their claims. Or is there some particular insanity at work in the auto business that you know about?

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts
for those who want the Filtech(a01) over the honneywell(a02), then I would suggest contacting your local dealer to see if they have any. My dealership just recieved a shipment on Thursday of them. And if they only check the computer they all update to the a02 number, so they would have to physically look at them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
lars161 said:
And if they only check the computer they all update to the a02 number, so they would have to physically look at them.
yea you need to get them to look at it physically.

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts
I can tell from ten feet away.

When they are shipped, the Honeywell Is packed in a box, out of the shipping box it is nicely shrinkwrapped.

The Filtech is shipped two levels each level on cardboard and then the whole thing like shrinkwrapped around, no box. And the individual filter has loose shrinkwrap that doesn't fit very well and is packaged pretty poorly compared to the honeywell.

I guess that goes to say you can't judge something by the packaging.

I actually saw that we had the A01 filtechs from ten feet away, and I said, eww we got some of the good oil filters, the parts guy walked over, looked at it and said, you're right.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ShadowBox said:
Thanks, Now the big question. After you have done your dissecting. Does it make a really big difference using the A-01 filter? I realize Fram is junk & it looks like the A-02 is the same. Do you think the A-01 will still be around or is it being replaced by the A-02? Do we need to go buy some now while they are still around?
Are you able to buy any a01's here in calif?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
prior8t2000 said:
Are you able to buy any a01's here in calif?
I stopped by my dealership the other day and bought 5 Filtech (A01) filters (you get a discount on more than 3)....they said that they get the A02's and A01's in alternating shipments....they never know which they will be getting until they arive.

·
Registered
394 Posts
trickyvick said:
I stopped by my dealership the other day and bought 5 Filtech (A01) filters (you get a discount on more than 3)....they said that they get the A02's and A01's in alternating shipments....they never know which they will be getting until they arive.
That's good info.
Can you share there phone number with me.
Tank's.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
prior8t2000 said:
That's good info.
Can you share there phone number with me.
Tank's.
Darrell Waltrip Honda / Volvo - Franklin Tennessee

1-866-687-4452

·
Registered
150 Posts
DARRELL WALTRIP HONDA ?????????? In all those TV commercials he's driving a Toyota pickumup........what gives ? Sincerely,
...etc.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts