Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
go with passwordJDM CF intake on the s2k... and don't mind more CF on the hood :D
If I get a CF hood it will be a Seibon unit and it will be OEM-style.

Blah, I've never liked those big whale ***** Password:JDM intakes. Since I've always wanted to build my Civic as a Spoon replica, I'd like to keep the theme going with any other performance Honda I have and thus will add Spoon parts to an S2000 when the day comes that I find one in the garage with keys to it in my pocket and my name on the registration :D.

I'd like to get the intake duct and filter, header and N1 exhaust system all from Spoon so I know it's going to work with the car and was designed to be used on the car how it sits.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow have I learned a lot today about oil filters. Had no clue FRAM was such crap, card board walls, seriously, we are dealing with a very hot liquid. Anyway if you late on to this discussion, like myself, the pictures were not viewable. I did a little research and found a Prelude racing driver who did some extensive comparisons on some oil filters and some nice cutaway shots.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

This includes the HAMP filters (the ones you were looking at racerc2000) which are very similar to the JDM oil filter. Now I didn't see the distinction of the A01 and A02 on the review but there were many other brands that were included.

I'm glad I use Mobil 1 on my Civic.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I wish they went into more detail with these tests.

ive been using the oem s2000 filter on all my oil changes and will continue unless I find a better one to use.extra capacity and oil pressure over most #15400-PCX-004 and I change oil right when it hits 15%

what oil do you guys use?

oh btw.... an S2k guy recommended I use this...
with 6 qt oil anyone have experience? ide have to measure to see if I have room for it much bigger then the oem size...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
as it was stated by him. a higher cap oil filter(this one supposedly holds a quart more then oem) more oil in the filter means it wont need to bypass as often which drops pressure. in "racing conditions" an s2k bypassing while in vtec wouldnt be a good thing.

for us who dont have crazy vtec and dont have a type S head the oil requirements are less. so I would see a larger cap of oil kinda like a cooler or extra filtering

the only difference in specs beyond that would be the oem filter size from that company has a 8 PSID bypass valve the big one is 14 PSID bypass valve.

now I dont design oil filters so Im not really sure what effects what and a honda is much different then say a V8 where a big filter would be better by it self

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I think that a larger capacity, premium quality filter make a lot of sense in a racing vehicle, or where the environment is very hostile, or when it's not possible to do maintenance on a close to optimum schedule.

If my driving experience included times when I could push the Element anywhere close to its max performance, I might be very concerned about the relative quality and capacity of the oil filter.

But it doesn't. Since I use synthetic oil, and I change it and the filter more often than Honda suggests for severe usage, I don't see the need for better-than-Honda-OEM filters.

If I could buy them as easily and for close to the same cost, whenever I need them, I'd do it.

What puzzles me, is why would Honda switch to a supposedly inadequate version of a part that is critical to engine life, when it saves Honda less than $1 per vehicle? As illogical as it seems, all I can think of, is that given the oil life minder function, a better quality/capacity filter would have extended oil change intervals and made Honda's dealers unhappy.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
I think that a larger capacity, premium quality filter make a lot of sense in a racing vehicle, or where the environment is very hostile, or when it's not possible to do maintenance on a close to optimum schedule.

If my driving experience included times when I could push the Element anywhere close to its max performance, I might be very concerned about the relative quality and capacity of the oil filter.

But it doesn't. Since I use synthetic oil, and I change it and the filter more often than Honda suggests for severe usage, I don't see the need for better-than-Honda-OEM filters.

If I could buy them as easily and for close to the same cost, whenever I need them, I'd do it.

What puzzles me, is why would Honda switch to a supposedly inadequate version of a part that is critical to engine life, when it saves Honda less than $1 per vehicle? As illogical as it seems, all I can think of, is that given the oil life minder function, a better quality/capacity filter would have extended oil change intervals and made Honda's dealers unhappy.
The MM system only measures certain operating parameters. It doesn't give a rats ass what kind of filter or oil is being used.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The MM system only measures certain operating parameters. It doesn't give a rats ass what kind of filter or oil is being used.
True, unless you can reflash the ECM, or change it in later builds, the MM's "life" algorithm is predicated upon using the filter and oil that Honda selects as their OEM standard at the time of design. However, if a filter and/or oil with better properties had been chosen, and the MM algorithm adjusted to reflect the wear characteristics of those materials, the interval would have changed.

There's at least two instances of Honda's earlier algorithms for fluid life, the time and distance tables, being recognised as inaccurate.

The dual pump fluid and ATF change frequencies were found to be overly optimistic by many EOC members well before Honda acknowledged the problems. The change to ATF DW-1 is a case of Honda modifying lubricant properties to better match their original service/maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the MM should just detect a difference in flow on the inlet and outlet side of the filter. I feel it would be a more accurate reading.

but im not a honda engineer and dont know what the stock parameters pull from

but i got a giggle when even with the s2k filter the dealer gave me a 3k mile sticker XD my MM isnt even under 50% yet and I have like 100 miles till i reach the sticker lol

the dealer loves me and my E. i bought it from them and they get a kick out of all the new mods they see every time.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a permanent change or not, but our most recent shipment of oil filters from the parts distribution center was a stack of the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 filters. We've been using them now for a few weeks. Not sure if Honda pulled the plug on the Honeywell ones, but I know the S2000 filters I was using previous have gone up in price and it's nice to know I can use a Honda filter again and not worry about its quality.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a permanent change or not, but our most recent shipment of oil filters from the parts distribution center was a stack of the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 filters. We've been using them now for a few weeks. Not sure if Honda pulled the plug on the Honeywell ones, but I know the S2000 filters I was using previous have gone up in price and it's nice to know I can use a Honda filter again and not worry about its quality.
I started receiving A02 filters again on friday. The A01's appeat to be out of stock again.

·
Registered
997 Posts
American Honda shows 778,796 of the A01 filters in their inventory and 370,771 of the A02 filters so they are probably just moving more A01s to ballance their inventory

·
Registered
839 Posts
My Element gets either the PLM-A01 (Filtech), the PCX-004 (Filtech S2000) or the Carquest Premium (Wix). I usually deal with our local Carquest store as they I've me great discounted prices on anything I buy and thu always go over and above for me.

I will not put anything Fram/Honeywell on my Hondas.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I have installed a remote mount filter on the "Hellement" and am using a K & P oil filter. Stainless steel micronic oil filter. 7 times more oil flow, cleanable and reuseable, magnetic pre-filtering and looks cool. Info at KandPEngineering.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
honda just released a bulletin on the A02 filters that they have had some where the seal didn't get set right. This only applies to the A02 filters, not the A01

61 - 80 of 83 Posts