Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda has made a proposed settlement to the class action suit in regard to oil filter related fires in 2003 - 2006 Elements and 2002 - 2006 CR-V

MDL Docket No. 06-1737 (CAS)

Lead Case CV 06-01305

Honda will establish a re-plenished $500,000 fund to cover losses incurred and not covered under insurance and deductible. Of course the lawyers will get $750,000 and up to $250,000 in court costs.

Plaintiffs will get $7,500.

www.crvclassactionsettlement.com

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Interesting... I definitely remember the snit about this from several years back, but don't recall any mentions of an E being flambéed on account of this assembly bug.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I got my notice in the mail today. Never had fire that I recall....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would think that you would have a lot of smoke first and you would probably stop and investigate rather then just keep driving down the road till it catches fire. You would then remember that you just changed the oil or you just had it done and get a clue as to what the smoke problem was. That is how my mind works. Now the people who let their engine catch fire, I wonder what their situation was.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Got mine today, too. I can not remember a single (other than the post above) Element on fire.

On the other hand, what does it hurt to register, just in case.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just got mine today. I haven't heard of the engine fires in the E's yet. I read about the CR-V one a while ago. Sounds like people not being clean or careful when changing their oil. I wonder if the other K-series engines have had similar problems?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I got my notice in the mail about it as well. It's going in the recycle bin - the way I read it, if you've not had the fire, you can't register as part of the class.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
read your mailing closerq

the way these class action suits are constructed makes you a plaintiff by default. You DO NOT need to register. If you own one of the Es in question and have had fire damage related to the oil filter you are automatically a litigant. If you believe the lawsuit is frivolous or does not provide adequate compensation you need to opt out.
I have been a part of about 10 of these things over the years. I have intentionally opted out of most. I found the lawsuits to be frivolous and felt obligated to make a statement.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
got my notice too - now i am all freaked out. :confused:
Don't be.

My guess is you're on at least your third (or fourth, fifth or 10th!) oil filter by now. This was a specific problem related to the first oil change only. It was due to a filter gasket that would stick to the engine block from the filter applied at the factory and then not be detected by the technician changing the filter at the first servicing.

Enter the lawyers and now the whole mess is blown way out of proportion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hit 100k a few months ago and dont think Ive had a fire

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
the way these class action suits are constructed makes you a plaintiff by default. You DO NOT need to register. If you own one of the Es in question and have had fire damage related to the oil filter you are automatically a litigant. If you believe the lawsuit is frivolous or does not provide adequate compensation you need to opt out.
I have been a part of about 10 of these things over the years. I have intentionally opted out of most. I found the lawsuits to be frivolous and felt obligated to make a statement.
Thanks for this explanation. I got my notice today and was wondering about it.
I have never had a problem and I'm past my 1st oil filter.

Thanks Again,
jurn

·
Registered
244 Posts
Honda Lawsuit "Sub-Hood Fires"?

Did anyone else receive a panphlet stating That there is a lawsuit for anyone who owns specific elements?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yea...is said blah blah blah, legal mumbo jumbo, blah blah blah, legal mumbo jumbo. I looked at it briefly and then tossed it aside :rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I actually read it but I don't qualify becaus emy E behaves but if you read it they have a case with the way honda built the engeeeen its just beggin for a fire

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got one also today. Figured I'd stop in here to find out what it was all about. Plus gives me a chance to say hi to ya'll again. I'm still Lovin my E ! :D:D:D Hope you all are too.

I did have an issue once about 3 oil changes ago. The tech didn't clean up like he should have after changing the filter. Now...I know it's a really bad spot for the filter... but they know this... and should have used more precaution in diverting the used oil away. Anyway as I was driving back to work after the service, I noticed smoke whiffing up from around the hood edges and had a bad oil burning smell. This really got my attention quick!!! I pulled right over and got out to check the situation at hand more closely. There was oil all over the heat shield by the exhaust manifold and all over the under carriage. I was pretty P.Oed at the situation because it could have been prevented, plus, the fact it was a little scary for a minute. Also thankful it wasn't a real fire. As far as I could tell the filter was tight and the plug "was in" so I continued to work after the heat shield oil burned off. Once there I used paper toweling and got under there myself and cleaned it up real good. Rechecked the oil level and it was fine. The filter itself was tight and there was no further leaking. (I remember hearing about the double gasket) I was so hot yet so thankful that I didn't even bother calling the dealership up to give them an earful. It was the the first time I ever had a problem there and the next couple of oil changes went without a hitch.

Please people if you ever see or smell smoke coming from your E or any vehicle, pull over right away and get out. It could really be a serious problem and it could in fact save your life.

Peace Out !!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts