Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or does Honda's paint / clear coat suck?

It seems to me that it scratches soooo easily :?

I've several other makes of autos (mostly VWs) and haven't seen this same lack of "hold-up" againts light rubs...

Any thoughts?

Would a really good wax help?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Clay bar and wax, thats about all you can do aside from getting it repainted.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I find it's better than any of the other (mostly GM/Ford) cars I've owned in the past...

Mind you, I'm not in the habit of rubbing on the paint without some sort of lubricant...any clear coat/paint will wear quickly if you rub it often or hard enough - friction melts paint....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grrr

They aren't scratches from washing... could be just a slight rub of anything: jacket, branch, plastic pieces, ....

Maybe it's the dark color?... idk.

Next time ... lighter color.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have thought the same thing about my E. My old Nissan had 12 more years on it than my E and always looked better. My wife's Rav4 has a much better paint finish than my E too. Oh well, it is what it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it depends on the factory your car came from. We have a Prelude, one of the last and they were built in Japan and the paint on that chips if you look at it the wrong way, right down to the metal.

Our Civic, presumably built in the US somewhere, gets occasional chips from big rocks, however has double the mileage of the lude and less paint chips... go figure.

I have been lucky with the E, a few large chips right on the edge of the hood where the 3M ended (wish I would of been there when the dealer installed it!!!) but that was from passing a sanding truck on the highway driving home through the prairies (in Alberta, when I say "sanding" truck, I really mean "tossing and throwing stones the size of marbles all over the road". I have had some rocks hit the roof when driving on the highway and I always look at my next stop and never see any damage.....

Maybe it is the color? Pearl/metallic paint vs. flat paint?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts