Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
Amen to the Saturn technology, MatT3T4! I just sold my 9-year old Saturn, and it did not have a single dent or ding, despite parking it haphazardly for years.

Since I got my E a month ago, I've been one of those idiots parking out at the end of the parking lot, next to a curb, if possible. Yet yesterday, I got my first door ding. Arghhhhhh!
:evil:

· Registered
461 Posts
Oh, Christine, ouch! So sorry! :(

I know I bitched about my first ding, but at least I didn't get one for a month, and it's not that big! Sounds like it's time for one of those dent repair guys so your baby can look like new.

I begin to understand those people (whom I've previously called very uncomplimentary names) who park across 2 parking spaces so no one can park beside them.

Kristi

· Registered
461 Posts
I really have to spring to the defense of Saturn, at least the mid-90's ones. My '95 SL1 was a super car. The bounce-back sides were one of the reasons that the car looked almost new when I sold it last month. I do not understand why more cars don't have them. Maybe the doors don't make the solid thunk that people want? But even when my Saturn was new, I didn't have to stress about parking spaces.

Mechanically, my Saturn was still getting 33-35 mpg (all driving, not just highway). I had virtually no repairs in 9 years beyond normal maintenance. It was gulping oil the last few years (maybe a quart every 750 miles). Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that the early Saturns were reliable, low maintenance cars.

From Consumers and other posts here, it seems that the more recent Saturns haven't moved with the times. I know I felt that way when I drove a Vue. Actually, the Vue is the reason I now have my E. I was planning to buy a car this fall, but when I saw the 0% financing that Saturn was offering, I thought I should look around, rather than wait. I looked at the Rav4, but the dealer didn't have any like what I wanted in stock. So, on impulse I drove across the street to look at the Element, which I'd seen in Consumer Reports auto issue. Drove it and pretty much decided that day.

But I went to Saturn to drive the Vue, and after the E, there was no way that I would have bought a Vue. It was noisier, more cramped, more expensive, and it did not have the pep of the E. Plus, the instrument panel was identical to the one I had in my '95 SL1!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.