Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the japan honda site and saw the honda spark.kinda like the sion Xb (smaller E type of vehicle) looks neet.spoilers,ground affectes.4wd.. will they bring it over hear? check it out. kinda like the fit with bumpers/facia/ground affex like the sion.but defrent

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Given the current move toward smaller more efficient vehicles I would say there is a strong possibility.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Unlikely. Many if not most of the JDM micro-cars - regardless of maker - won't pass US crash and structural requirements. The Fit is large by their standards.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok ,but look at the stupid car,oops smart car. there is a large oweners grop hear of them ,they say only 30 mpg. wtf $20000.00 &only 30mpg? cant haul any thing,still takes up a parking space.face it ,it's not a vette. for that kind of money buy a cube.or beter yet honda spark!!!!COMON HONDA BRING THE SPARK TO US. does any body know how to convert lpk to mpg? I think the spark is about 19-21 lpk .I might hurt my brain if I try to convert it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unlikely. Many if not most of the JDM micro-cars - regardless of maker - won't pass US crash and structural requirements. The Fit is large by their standards.
If the feds can pass the Smart Car they can pass anything JDM makes... ;-)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
If the feds can pass the Smart Car they can pass anything JDM makes... ;-)
I knew I was going to hear this. No, the Smart is a bulletproof structural cage around which they glued sheetmetal and plastic, and tacked-on what passes for a drivetrain. The JDM micro-cars are Spam cans, and you use the same key you peel the top with to wind up the engine.

Seriously... I have my own special fondness for the JDM micros, but equally seriously - they are not designed to meet US-spec structural and crush zones, nor be modifiable to qualify. I have some familiarity with the Suzuki micros, and cute as they are, a stiff breeze will make 'em crumple like a beer can.

The Smart is a special case since I think the Germans are... well... also a bit Teutonic about structural integrity. I don't know if you ever saw the videos of a Smart-vs.-wall or Smart-vs. Mercedes crash tests - the cage held together pretty well, but after bouncing around like a rubber ball. The occupants would have been so much amorphous goo by the time the rolling stopped, but the passenger compartment would have been mostly intact.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That thing will not sell, it looks like a hippie got a hold of some crayons and Honda asked him to draw a 1979 civic and new Nissan Cube together. Horrible, it would have to be $500 for me to buy one.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
That thing will not sell, it looks like a hippie got a hold of some crayons and Honda asked him to draw a 1979 civic and new Nissan Cube together. Horrible, it would have to be $500 for me to buy one.
Just because you won't buy it doesn't mean it wouldn't sell. Most people thought the same thing about the E when it came out, and here we all are almost 7 years later.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've seen the smart crash tests and it holds up very well but guess what it dosent matter how good your car looks, you go from 60 to 0 in .2 seconds and your still dead. Only difference is you get to have an open casket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been thinking about this cash for clunkers thing and if the government just let every car company come out with 1 model each that was small and git crazy gas milage that costs $4,500 so you could trade stright, they would

1. accomplish their goal of taking all of the old bad gas milage cars off the road.

2. give poor people a cheap, efficient and reliable means of trasportation.

3. stimulate auuto sales.

4. reduce dependance on oil.

5. reduce carbon emissions.

6. the cars that would be taken off of the road wouldent pass crash safty standrds of today anyway!

I see no down side. I believe that for all of those reasons except crash safty is the same reasons why you have small KAI cars in Japan. They made them after WWII I believe and correct me if im wrong someone, for the same reasons we have today. Less money for the car, less oil consumed, cheap trasportation.

I had a thread about this months ago asking honda to bring back the N600 for these very reasons! WILL NO ONE LISTEN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! (I say in my best charlton Heston voice)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'd go for it. I just think that it is too small for the U.S. and would fail to compete with the Fit, which is doing very well. Then again people thought the original Civic wouldn't compete.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
does any body know how to convert lpk to mpg?
I'm assuming that you mean liters/100km, right? That's what they use in Europe.

I did the math and to convert to mpg, just divide 235 by the number of liters/100km. It's not exact, but it should be within +/- 1/10th mpg or so.

So 20 liters/100km = 11.8 mpg. Um.....you must not mean liters/100km. My bad. :confused:

Maybe I didn't do the math right. I have been drinking....but it didn't seem that complicated....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts