Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay after seeing two different Element T.V. ads tonight I can honestly see why "Gen X" isn't buying this car....the ads are down right dorky....showing a bunch of 20 somethings acting lik ethey are in High School is insulting (I of course am voicing my opnion as a 27 year old).

I am 27, married, primary bread winner....still have some cool hobbies....blading, biking, golf (ya know cool in the Tiger/Anna sense), road trips, fun with friends......well you get the general idea. After watching the ads on TV....I feel insulted, I realize I am not the target "sex", but come on even my 28 year old husband (who is more like a 21 year old college student, who is currently working on his MBA) is like who are these people in the ads??? Real World and Road Rules rejects?????

The people portrayed in the ads could, more than likely, not afford the E (especially in our current ecconomic/employment state) and are so hokie that I doubt anyone in that age group would be inclined to say "Those guys look really cool, I think I want to be like them"

I know there has been much discussion on the boards about how Honda has marketed to the wrong target demographic, but in all honesty I believe that if they had an effective ad campaign with a more realistic 20 something flair.

Obviously these are just my opinions, but as you know I have this need to voice them!

And FYI Honda (if you are listening) "Go with it" doesn't work for me....it just simply isn't creative enough....something more about being in your element or something along those lines would be more mysterious/creative/fun.....and fyi....while watching a surf reality show (god help me for being bored tonight) some 19 year old surf girl actually said of another surf girl "She is in her E" and was not referring to her car.....go figure :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im thinking of the phrase "Extreme" at the m0ment. :twisted:

·
Registered
894 Posts
The demonstration of the "E' at the spring Auto Show struck me as if they were marketing to potheads. Honda should have been embarassed.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I bought an Element, am not in the target demographic either and I like the car...What were we talking about again? I hate it when that happens...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i'm in the target demo (21 y/o male)... i don't see what's wrong with marketing something toward a certain group of people. i think it's pretty smart because either way honda wins. either the 20 year olds gobble them up and honda makes $$$.... or "older" people buy them up because the ads make it seem that this is the car for young hip kids, which by driving it, makes them seem (or feel) younger... either consciously or subconsciously....

in any case, with what the poster wrote about the target demo not being able to afford it... i paid $8,000 down and paying my $330 a month... all by myself thank you very much... :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I have noticed is that more people in there 40"s are buying the Element than the Gen Y'ers and Gen X'rs.

That is cool really. They get a vehicle that you can dump bricks and furniture into, and its low maintence and fun.

Also, all Element owners I have seen while driving my Element wave at me and I wave and I wave back.

Age is not a factor in having fun....

(by the way, Im only 37)

surfratt....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually, from an article I read a few months back, it's the early twenty-somthings that Honda is having a difficulty tapping into (generaion Y). The Gen Xers (now in their late 20s and early 30s) and the Babyboomers are the groups they're having the most success with.

An early review of the Element (forget which publication) that I linked to from this board probably nailed the reason in a bit of foreshadowing. If you want the younger generation to think something is cool, you can't TELL them that it's cool. The Honda Civic was adopted as one of the rollers of choice by young modifiers over the past few years with little or not push from Honda (Honda claims they were pleasantly surprised).

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK, I'm 53 and I bought my Element because in makes sense, not that I envision myself as a reinvented "YUTE". It's easy to drive, sitting high with great forward vision, No carpets. In Canada that makes perfect sense to me because of the snow and slush crap. I like the doors and tail gate setup. Great sound. You don't have to be a "YUTE" to appreciate good sound (Remember, us old farts started Rock and Roll).

All in all the Element makes perfect sense. The fact that it is different and looks great is a bonus to me. The fact that it's a Honda is like money in the bank to me.

I consider myself to be an "OLD YUTE", not an "OLD FART".

·
Registered
176 Posts
My opinion? They shouldnt have marketed the E to ANY demographic. The E commercials shouldnt have even had people in them. Remember the dodge neon commercials? Kinda like that except not as cutesie. They should show the car, and what the thing can do. Emphasis on all the space and the versatility.

I'm SURE they're losing at least a few buyers NOT in the target demographic due to the idiotic marketing campaign. Not to mention those of us in the demographic.

That's my $0.02 ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't entirely disagree with you meanelvis, but I must admit, the commercials, despite their actors, did an effective job at showing the look, the versatility and the unique features (sunroof, suicides, clamshell). The commercial was what piqued my interest back in Decemeber (I bought in January).

My $.02? I think the EX is still a little pricey for most late teens and early 20-somethings. When I was in college (my family wasn't rich) I drove a used Cavalier and making those payments was often a little tight.

The DX is considerably less expensive, but it's also considerably less car in the way of features that even middle-class college and entry-level workforce kids find desireable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The TV spots are bad! they are the Real World rejects. One thing that is interesting is that Honda knows exactly what they're doing. I think the ads could be a bit more hipper and more appealing to the Gen-Y, but I think they are basing the "Look & Feel" of the ads on research done on image brand acceptance on Gen-Y. Ive read several articles on how Honda came up with the Marketing and Advertising campaigns and it is all fascinating. The Element was pretty much designed by the Target audience at several Universities, Major development & design decisions were actually made by students of the demographic that they were specifically targeting. The advertising campaing was done in cooperation with Four Universities with communications majors of the targeted demographic, actually receiving credit for creating advertising campaigns. Honda is desperately trying to pick up the Gen-Y market so that their products do not die off in ten years. They are thinking years ahead in actually selling this vehicle. They need to make sure that when the twenty somethings finally do get a dependable income that they will want to finally buy an element. They are also trying not to cannabilize their other products (CRV) sales. So they are trying to give it a distinct image to seperate it. I think its interesting that the web site & Brochure seems really hip and more stylish than the broadcast spots which seem stupid, boring and too moronic for reality. I agree that the Spots are done poorly! But I think honda is marketing this vehicle to the right market. Ive noticed in other threads people expressing dis-satisfaction at not being targeted in the advertising. I think that shows how much people really feel connected to the this vehicle. I dont think there are many other products where this dis-satisfaction occurs.

be in your e

·
Registered
287 Posts
To be honest I don't see why anyone would wanna fit into a sterotype contrived by a cooperate entity.

Furthermore, I'm glad I don't see this truck at every stop light.

I haven't seen a spot for this vehicle in a few months, I don't watch much pop culture tv, but I kinda like the vibe of just letting the vehicle talk for itself.

Let the vehicle create its own demographic.

Stylistically Pragmatic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My brother introduced me to my E and i didn't even consider the age factor Honda was trying to set. I saw my 1st E in Feb at a local dealership and i LOVED it! I liked the versatility the car had plus the cost was reasonable. Anyone can get a 30, 40, 50 K SUV out there but nothing is like the E :D

< I am 34 by the way > but act like a 16 year old :lol:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
[quote:179410b817="Takerhybrid"]You put 8,000 down and you are still paying 340 a month what happened[/quote:179410b817]

[quote:179410b817="Kayakin' Dan"]No credit history and got hammered on the interest rate.[/quote:179410b817]

yep... my 4WD Ex was $23,000 OTD with roof rack, cargo cover, and table legs. I paid $8,000 down which means I'm financing $15,000.

American Honda wouldn't finance me since I only have a 4 year credit history, even though my credit rating is at 790. I went to a local chinese bank and got 2.8% over 48 months. I'm paying $330.69 a month.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The marketing strategy and demographics are not reasons why I bought my E. I am an E owner because the E makes sense for me, my family and our rural lifestyle. Nevermind the fact that my E is IS beautiful, has a great sound system, is easy to maintain, and is fun to drive. What doesn't make sense to me is why anyone would buy a fully decked out truck or SUV like the F150 King Ranch or the Lincoln Aviator and fill it with kids, dogs, groceries and home improvement items from Lowe's and hit the drive thru at Burger King on the way home. Why spend $40K on a vehicle whose frame is designed for work? The E is the perfect family/work vehicle. When is gets messed up, all it takes is a pail of water and a sponge to make it look great again. If you mess up one of those ritzy vehicles, no matter how much money you spend at Ziebart, there WILL be stains.

I Love my E, and so does my wallet. By the way, I'm a 40 year old Dad with a wife, a 13 year old daughter and two Boxer Dogs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally, I like the Honda ads that feature all the Honda products. Its the one that starts and ends with their hot red sports car driving through a city. I like the fact that inbetween the images of Honda lawnmowers and motorcycles they show a quick glimpes of the Element actually doing something instead of being a prop for the goofy actors in the other Element specific commercials. It gives me a warm fuzzy everytime I see it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
but they are really the reason my wife and i purchased ours. we were intrigued when we first saw the e and got a brochure in the mail last fall. the timing wasn't right for a new car then. in the interim, we bought a house and decided to get a pickup truck for utility (it's a 65 year old house and i'm channeling bob villa these days). i drove several trucks. we have a 3 year-old son so obviously some interior space was a concern. i was just about settled on a nissan frontier crew cab. then val and i were watching television the other night and an e ad came on. she turned to me and said, "you might as well go test drive one." the next day, we bought ours. the ad served as a reminder, and our purchase was almost in spite of how terrible the spots are.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Exacty what I was trying to say in my previous post. The commercials aren't great but they were effective from the standpoint of getting me to notice the Element. The first time I laid eyes on one was in that dumb commercial. That's not true for everybody of course, but I'd bet it is for a great number of you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts