Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I did it....and it was real easy..after seeing SquadONE and what he did
I went in search of a model that would fit....and a purchased these off E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8061828122&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

after looking at the kit with little to no instructions...and not being for the Element....

1. propped hood up and removed top hood bracket bolt and installed black damper bracket. both sides

2. drilled two holes 3/8 on each fender flair.....and installed the two damper bolts..used a couple of nuts from my garage, dont know the size but will edit when I measure them..

4. attached dampers top and bottom, secured with supplied wire clamps... and tried to shut hood...it was raised a little.......

5. adjusted fender flaires ever so slightly bending them down to accomodate the dampers....

re check hood......done..........

Total time 14 minutes.........after knowing where to drill now it should be less than 10 minutes....

If you dont like the color....they can be painted any color you want.......

results....hood opens automatically after releasing latch........Cool..........

Now to figure out how to remove the hood prop.......:p

Here are some pictures of what i did...........

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: 2nd Mod..Hood Dampers..........Easy

Very cool.
This mod looks better and better the more I see it.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts

Empire said:
Very cool.
This mod looks better and better the more I see it.
Yep. Same here. Good choice on cylinders, BTW. The little bit of "up" bias in the balancing will keep the hood from crashing on your head when it's super-cold; gas springs are sort of that way.

·
Registered
717 Posts

so with the placement you have shown in the pics above, you dont have any hood closure problems? ;)
looks great.

-Tom

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

tom108 said:
so with the placement you have shown in the pics above, you dont have any hood closure problems? ;)
looks great.

-Tom
Nope....I had to make a couple adjustments after install to level the fender and hood...and thats it..........

the first time I set my Viper alarm....the hood sensor triggered........I checked the sensor out..pushed it up and down and then adjusted it a little lower and it was good to go...

it really adds a cool factor to looking under the hood..........I have these on my wifes Dodge Intrepid.......they came factory....always liked them.....

·
Registered
717 Posts

jimtesla said:
Nope....I had to make a couple adjustments after install to level the fender and hood...and thats it..........

the first time I set my Viper alarm....the hood sensor triggered........I checked the sensor out..pushed it up and down and then adjusted it a little lower and it was good to go...

it really adds a cool factor to looking under the hood..........I have these on my wifes Dodge Intrepid.......they came factory....always liked them.....
i'm sold! ;)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

The instructions that come with the struts are pretty minimal. Some tips:

[Edited to fix dumb*** "solution." Thanks, Boximus!]

1. Leave the lower bolt in place; just remove the upper bolt.

2. Mount the ball bracket so the routed-out part fits over the OEM hinge. That way it won't pivot. (Mine came with "L" and "R" stickers, which I failed to notice. Duh!)

3. Incredibly, the kit doesn't include nuts for the lower ball anchors. You'll need two 6mm-1.0 nuts.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hood damper installation.

A cool mod that I have been thinking about doing on the Hellement for the last year finally came to pass. I had been thinking of doing this automatic hood damper kit but could not find one that fit. After trying several different sets from other cars I found this one that works. (I have some for sale on the cheap over in Group Buy) Some minor fender modifications will need to be done to make them fit under the hood properly but other than that it is a
10 minute installation.
Tools needed: 10mm Socket and ratchet, 10mm wrench, smooth faced pliers or channel locks and a shop rag to protect the fender paint.

Step one: remove the dampers from the box and remove the hardware kit from the bag.
Step two: Open the hood on your Element and use the factory prop rod to secure it in the up position. Remove the top bolt of the hinge on the hood (10mm) and the forward-most fender bolt (10mm).
Step three Install the ball mount bracket (black) to the hood hinge bracket as shown (Fig.1). Re-use the painted bolt that you removed.
Figure 1

Step four: Install the stainless steel ball mount bolt into the fender hole where the bolt was removed in step 2

Step five: Remove the lock pins inserted into the prop damper and set aside. (see fig. 1 for picture of pin in installed position). "Pop" the damper rod to the front ball mount first with the steel slider section of the rod facing the front of the vehicle. Install the lock pin back into the rod end. (this may require some rotating of the rod to get a good position). "Pop" the aluminum end of the prop rod onto the hood hinge bracket installed in step 3. Install the lock pin at this time as well. (see fig.1 for installed position)
Step Six: The fender lip must be slightly bent down to make room for the damper rods. (Fig.2) Failure to do this may cause the hood to stick up past the fenders causing a body gap issue. Take your pliers or channel locks and shop rag and gently bend the inside lip of the fender downward. You may need to do this several times while rechecking the prop clearance. For best results, hold the fender secure with your hand and bend the lip with your other hand. Honda has made the upper fenders "Pedestrian Friendly" so it is easy to distort the entire fender with the pliers alone. Figure 3 shows how far I ended up bending the fender lip for proper clearance.
Figure 2:(shown without shop rag in place for visual purposes)

figure 3

Now that you have installed and fitted your hood damper rods, you can put your clumsy hood prop away for good and crack open a frosty beverage! Here is a pic of the final installation.

·
Registered
528 Posts
EEK!! Since my Tien hood dampers from an EK Civic didn't work out I might have to go with these!!!!

Honda Ghandi, do you have pics of the hood closed with these on? I know what you mentioned about the curvature of the fender and hood playing a part, how much did you have to bend the fender lip or tweek it?

Edit: Never mind, excellent write up. You should add the link http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37978 to this group buy!!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can vouch for how easy the install was. The dampers work well and makes the hood feel like it doesnt weigh anything. To complete the look I removed the factory hood prop and plastic retainers to make it look like the dampers were there from the factory. Instead of pliers, I used a dead blow hammer so there wouldnt be any tool marks.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This is an awesome mod, Ghandi!

Questions:
Is there a way to install the rods a little further inward so as to not need to modify the fender lip?

Figure 1 Pic 1 shows the rod on the "outside" of the screw. Can the rod be installed on the "inside"?

Figure 1 Pic 2, can a bracket be installed to extend the rod mounting point beyond the lip?

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
couple questions. What are the parts/dampers made from? Are they chrome, stainless or aluminum? Are the carbon ones just a wrapping or genuine carbon tubes? Reason I am asking is living where I do salt air corrosion is a concern and wouldn't want them to get ruined. Are the black pieces that attach at the hood hinge anodized or painted?

Thanks, the kit looks great.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
EOC Performance Sponsor
68 Posts
Here's the description from NRG directly:

The description for the carbon fiber units are the same:

These units also allow the hood to remain up and stable even under high wind conditions and were thoroughly tested for repeated use. With the use of oil filled shocks and light dampening for lightened hood applications these dampers have lift assist and slow decline features. Stainless steel w/ lightweight alloy shaft and casing with hydraulic oil seals end links for mounting points for durability and heat resistance. Weighs in at only 200g on average, this is a must-have addition to any hood prop vehicle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My thanks to Honda Ghandi.
These are really cool.
Took longer to bend the fenders carefully than it did to install them.
They work great and the carbon fiber ones are perfect with my NBP paint.

When it stops raining :mad: I'll do some photos and a video of the hood opening & closing.

Oh yeah, the instructions that HG posted show a 10mm wrench to put in the s/s front bolts. It's actually a 12mm. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine went in like Flynn (who is he anyway?).

Oh yeah, the instructions that HG posted show a 10mm wrench to put in the s/s front bolts. It's actually a 12mm. :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts