Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to have their hood repainted? I bought my E used and it has a few botched touchups on the hood along with a spot where the clear is cracked?
I was just wondering your experience as to how much it cost and how well a complete hood repaint will blend with the factory paint?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Without actually seeing the hood, it is difficult to know what kind of prep is necessary. The "cracked clearcoat" indicates that it may have had a repair at some time. The cracked surface area can be the result of body plastic...and/or primer that has failed prematurely. If so, it could require some additional labor to prep for paint. My advice is to go to a quality shop....perhaps a body shop connected to a Honda dealer. Wherever you go, ask what brand of paints are used. Name brands are PPG, Dupont, Spies-Hecker, Glasurit, Sherwin-Williams, Sikkens (Akzo Nobel). Some lower shops will use anything cheaper. My experience with your Nighthawk Black pearl has always been good. Blending the tops of the fenders hasn't been that crucial....however, if you are particular and want the hood match to be "dead-on", blend them.
As for cost, it depends on the per-hour flat-rate where you are. Generally speaking, an Element hood will require about 3 or 4 hours and each fender top about 1/2 hour. So, total labor perhaps 4 or 5.....again. without seeing it, it's hard to say. Then, you'll have material cost....again, hard to say what your area charges.
Something else.....if there are any dents, obviously more labor time. Perhaps I've given you a little info that can help......I've been painting cars for a living since '67....which doesn't mean I'm the best....its simply means I have a lot of experience.......(and, I'm getting old!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Additional information

Some additional information....I was "called to duty" by my sweet little granddaughter and didn't give quite enough info....

If your hood doesn't require any more prep other than feathering out chips and sanding off the cracked clear and priming it, here in Kansas, I could charge 5 hours at 42.00 an hour.....plus 30.00 an hour for material. So, roughly 210 plus 150.....include tax, etc....for around 400.00 total. Just a rough estimate, you understand. Again....without seeing the car. If I were you, I'd expect to spend maybe 400.00 to 500.00. Beware of someone who would say they could do the whole job for a couple hundred dollars. The priming and prep is important on a front end. A true pro will be able to paint that hood and fender tops to perfection....straight....glossy....and with no dirt nibs at all.
Wish you the best!

·
Registered
97 Posts
In Wichita

Yep......Wichita...born and bred. Worked for a company that I'll bet you know....from 1971 'till '03...Scholfield. I was working there when Dick Scholfield passed around some one-page flyers with a pic and info on the '72 Honda S600 Sedan....he said "Here you go boys.....this is the new Honda Car we're gonna sell"........and the rest is history......... I've been a Honda fan ever since I bought one of those S600 sedans!

I can get real long-winded sometime....I just hope my info is some help.......there are some "butchers" out there...................

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don

Don, thanks for all of your help.
I took another look at the damage and I'm thinking maybe it isn't a crack in the clear, it looks more like maybe the previous owner let bird "droppings" sit too long.
You "guesstimate" seems like a fair price; that's in the ballpark of what I was thinking for a quality job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey...Hntjohns....

........glad my information might help. One more bit of advice....a smart painter will feather out any chips that might be in the hood...and he'll sand out the bird dropping marks. Those dang bird stains will "etch" into the paint if left long enough, and they do need to be sanded out and primed before painting. If not, they will show back in the final finish......trust me...been there.
Best of luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts