Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang of Adventurers. My dealer called today to tell me my Element has finally arrived. I shall go tomorrow to test drive it and complete the paperwork. Allowing a day (or two) for "Dealer Prep" I should be driving it home in two days. I think I have decided to purchase it without any add-on accessories, and just buy them online and install them myself. Since I am paying full MSRP for the vehicle, I refuse to pay any dealer markup on accessories. I am also very reluctant to pay union wages for any of the accessory installations I can do myself. I am not in the target age group (chronologically) but still feel this will be a perfect second car for my wife and me. We already own a Honda Odyssey, and this Element is replacing my Jeep Wrangler I sold last week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote:45c1365a84="DrAlbertLee"]...Allowing a day (or two) for "Dealer Prep" ...[/quote:45c1365a84]

Okay, gang! Let's all go over there and test drive his EX during the "Dealer Prep!" (Just Kidding!) :wink: Congrats! I'm very jealous!

We might weaken and have the fog lights and keyless entry installed by the dealer. If, for no other reason, that I think they're then covered under the vehicle warranty. I'm not sure about that but I think I remember reading about that somewhere.

I used to be an engineer but now just push paper for a living, so I don't think I can spell 'fog lights' anymore without a spell-checker, let alone install them.

GC.

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Congrats Doc... we all look forward to hearing about your first few days/nights with the new wheels. Don't forget about those back seats...I'm assuming you'll sleep your first night in it, right? :)

Which dealership did you purchase from? I'm only 90 minutes north of you and my brother's in St. Charles. I spend quite a bit of time down your way.

Also, if you've got a digital camera be sure to post some pics of the green machine!

Later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T Mac: You must live near Hannibal, MO if your are 90 miles north of me. I decided to buy from Huey's Honda on Lindbergh, just north of Hwy 40. I bought our previous car from them and found them very professional.

Snoopy: I read the installation instructions for both the keyless entry and the fog lights. The keyless entry should be VERY EASY to install yourself. The fog lights are more involved, requiring removal of lots of car parts to properly run the wiring.

Yes. I do have a digital camera and will undoubtedly take several pics for this forum. Now, if I can just find out how to add them to a posting.

Forget about "test driving" MY ELEMENT at the dealership though. I have already asked my salesperson to "hide the keys." :roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up my new "green machine" from my dealer 7 days ago. For the record, I paid full MSRP (but paid for no dealer add ons, advertising charges, or paperwork fees). I got a full tank of gas from the dealer, and "coupons" for $200 worth of additional gas. This is the first time in my life I paid full MSRP for a vehicle, but am glad I did it this time. I sold my Red '93 Jeep Wrangler in just one day, for almost twice what I was offered as a trade in. I shed a few tears as I said goodbye to my loyal Jeep, but have totally fallen in love again with my new "gentle green giant." I love everything about it! I am a youthful 70 years young, so do not quite fit the intended demographics for this vehicle -- or maybe I do, since age is less a chronology and more a state of health and state of mind. I elected to get no accessories from the dealer, but have ordered quite a few (nine actually) from an online vendor and intend to install all of them myself. One of these is the interior bike attachment. I shall purchase a roof rack for my kayak from either Yakima or Thule, both of which will have racks available for the Element shortly. The Element is a unique vehicle, and certainly not appropriate for a sports car enthusiast, but for those who seeks a versatile vehicle for both in town driving and for outdoor activity use, it is an almost ideal compromise. P.S. My wife of 36 years loves the Element too.

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Glad to hear your buying experience was a good one and glad to hear that things are going well with your Element! Keep us posted on all the details. I'm curious to hear how the gas mileage is after you break it in, etc.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! Also congrats on breaking that demographic.. way to go!

I have a friend who is really irked with the brochure and commericals since we are all over 30.. i said just another reason to mess with that plan of theirs. I love Honda, I really love them.. but i found this marketing campaign of theirs insane, and funny! OK they have been working on trying to make a vechile that would encourage more young guys as customers, oh well so much for that.. ! Of course you do sound young at heart.. i am sure more so than those boring models on the commericals!

I personally would go for having my dealer install some of those electrical components, Honda's have a wierd way about them when it comes to electrical add ons.. so rather than ruin a over 20k investment, I will pay for them to install the keyless entry and fog lights all those other add on ons can be had for less and are nothing to install.

I am also lucky to actually have some honest salespeople here, they encourage you to sell you vehicle yourself instead of being taken on a trade.. and they are so not pushy about those add ons in fact they often look at youlike you have 4 heads if you even bother to ask.. eh well that works.

Again congrats, I can not wait to see the photos of your new arrival!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts