Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I just heard my honk die.

I hit the remote twice as I was walking away from the lot, and a pathetic noise came out of the horn instead of its usual shout. I tried again, no honk at all, but the locks still work. I went back to the car, started it, tried the steering wheel, and still no honk at all.

I have the stock horn installed PLUS a set of Hella Supertones (2 years now). Factory vs. Hella each have their own relay, power, ground, but share the line for the actual signal.

If it was the actual horn hardware, I assume 1 would still work. If it was a bad relay, power line, ground connection, again, one set would still work. If both the remote and the steering wheel press don't work, what does that leave for me to check?:?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WTF? It works again?

I just got something out of the car, locked with remote, and the horn works again. Tried it a few times, it still works. =/

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Check the relay. I had a relay burn out on me after installing my Wolo horn in conjunction with the factory horn.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the relay. I had a relay burn out on me after installing my Wolo horn in conjunction with the factory horn.
The horn has come and gone a few times now. Doesn't that mean the relay is fine? Remember, there are two. One for the factory horn and one for the Hellas.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I can still hear the relay working.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the winner is...... Gboybst578! ...with a PM telling me to rewire everything.

I took the bumper off to adjust my grill and look at the horn wiring. It turns out that the fog harness had wedged against the horn wiring, and pulled one of the horn wires off its slide connector (poor wiring on my part). So it LOOKED like all the slide connectors were still on the relay. I re-did all the slide-connectors on the relay, and re-routed the wiring away from the fog harness. Everything works again, and I'll feel 100% good after a few weeks of functionality. As for my theory that the stock horn still should have honked, I have no idea. I started wondering if the stock horn EVER worked after the Hella horn install. I would never have been able to hear it over the Hellas, so maybe it didn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts