Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am sad to say that my E and I almost got into an accident on Friday night...my husband and I were on our way to dinner and on a highway overpass when this idiot realizes he is in a turn only lane and comes flying over into my lane...no turn signal...no nothing.....so I have to slam on the breaks and the horn.

Well...this is the first time I used the horn on the E....man it is whimpy!!!!

Anybody out there mod their horn??

Just curious....I just think the horn should be more primal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go straight to the FIAMM website...they've got not just noisemakers up
or out of the WAZOO - they've got more KAZOO's than you can shake an Element radio antenna at. I got a FIAMM with THREE of the red plastic horn "elements" - but am a little slow on planning my attack for the
ultimate invasion and takeover; i.e., replacing the stock one which makes
even little kids laugh out loud - almost as loud as the Honda 'honker'
itself. Actually, one of your nearby accessory houses will have the perfect
FIAMM just waiting for you. BEEP-BEEP!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The "El Grande Twin" sounds pretty good. I always have loved the Cadillac tri-tone sound though, and am thinking of hitting a junkyard to see what I can find. My '89 Wrangler had the same tone/type of horn as the E, and the Caddy horns worked well on it (except for always getting mud/muck in them)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan on moving my air horns from my Ford F-250 to my E. I just have to find a compressor that will do the job in a small space.
If this idea doesn't work, I will probably purchase an electronic air horn from Galls www.galls.com.
Miss my big rig sound... the horns I have are made for tractor/trailor rig. just don't know if they will fit.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went to the local Camping World store and bought an air horn that some say sounds like a boat, but it is diffenetly LOUD. I had NO place to hide it under the hood (and you E owners KNOW what I mean.) so I mounted the horn AND compresser up on the rack mount with one hole drilled into the mount (The first hole I have had to drill, though not IN the body,what with all the accessories I have added like power cord from battery to ham radio, ham antenna, and radio, spotlight and remote controls for it, and back up alarm) and wound the electric wire down between the door and body into the cab. I want the big rig sound too, so someday I will find the right big rig sound. HondaHummer, you got any ideas?

Shaka,

Ger

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I slightly wondered why lots of folks here have upgraded the horn. Well, after yet another "yowee!" near miss, it was obvious from the lack of getting attention when attention was crucial that the E's horn was simply blending into the background noise.

I noticed three things about the stock horn: first is that it is a single, relatively low note - most horns are in high/low pairs. Second is that the horn "outlet" is 1/4" from the frame, so the sound is partly blocked. Third is that between the bumper skin and fender inner liner it is enclosed in a box with only a couple of small openings.

IOW, a low hard-to-hear tone, muffled in a box. Time for a fix.

My fix was Fiamm air horns, and cutting some "speaker holes" in the fender liner. This is more than most are going to want to do, but it addresses the major issues. Here are the results:

[picture links removed due to change in site policies]

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>I think mine seems to work fine?

Our situations seemed pretty genuine... saw the impending problem, blew horn, got no reaction, and then the look of sheer terror from the other motorist realizing that they had not noticed us and had caused the close call.

>More step by step, please? How much $ and time involved?

Horns were $25 at AdvanceAuto. It took about three hours, but most of that was machining the custom mounting brackets.

You have to remove the inner fender liner (driver's side) first. That's a little involved. Removing the old horn was easy (12mm wrench). I tried several positions with the compressor and the trumpets before arriving at what's in the pix. I built brackets from 1" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock, but that's overkill. You should be able to do the same thing with hardware store "perf strip" - metal strips with holes drilled every 1" or so.

The compressor needs to hang down vertically if you use the single screw mount for the original horn. You can't use the original horn bracket with this compressor because the hose fitting is in the wrong place - a 6" strip will lower it far enough.

The trumpets are attached to another bracket attached to the grounding bolt. Another 6" of strip wil work there, too - just position the trumpets so they don't "clank" together, and clear the fender liner (follow the angle shown in the photo).

I drilled suitable openings at the bottom of the fender liner with a 1/2" drill, followed by tin snips. I preserved the molded "ribs" in this area by making the holes between the ribs. I had some perforated plastic material which I cut to cover the new holes, and attached them with push-type plastic fasteners bought at the hardware store for about a buck. You could easily use the same sort of gutter screening everyone uses for the lower radiator opening.

I over-engineered everything because I have the resources to do it "heavy duty" and then never have to worry about it again.

Which isn't entirely true. Those Fiamm compressors don't last forever, and will probably have to be replaced at 60,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hm... If you don't have fog lights, how would it look with the trumpets just peeking out of the fog light holes?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>how would it look with the trumpets just peeking out of the fog light holes?

I thought about that for about two seconds and decided it would look silly. It's bad enough that they sound silly. :wink:

They wouldn't last very long, anyway. These cheap air horns don't do well with water in the trumpets. You have to aim them downward. Besides, to do one in each side you'd need separate compressors - they're too wimpy to handle much tubing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Does it get others attention now... how does it sound to loud to weak ? just curious I like the idea I was thinking about doing the same but using a voice recorder and some expicet verbage :"bleep bleep out of my way"

lol

:twisted: :twisted:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Oh, it gets noticed. Had the occasion last night... mindless idiot on their cellphone with a map in the other hand seemed to have a little difficultly staying in their lane. Odd how that works.

If the "voice" thing was legal you could buy something like it. But they're not, so you can't. Civilian use of voice on external speakers in a moving vehicle was outlawed ages ago, for obvious reasons. "Road rage" is hardly a new issue.

:roll:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discovered since making the change - the confirmation "beep" you get when you double-press the keyless lock button doesn't quite work with the new horns. The beep is too short to spin-up the compressor long enough to drive the trumpets. You'll hear a loud click and maybe a grunt from the horns, but that's about it.

Panic alarm works fine... and I recommend not testing it around the neighbors. :lol:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
...I neglected to mention that the "new" horn wiring needs to be on its own fuse, and the new horn activated through a relay. The regular horn shares the circuit with the brake lights, and the compressor takes too much current for both to be on at the same time.

IOW, if you blow the horn while on the brakes (a natural condition), you will blow the fuse. Why Honda's engineers would do this defies all logic I'm aware of.

:roll:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, I went down to the local RV accessories center and bought a air powered hairy-legged truckdriver deisel-type horn, and originally mounted it to the top rack. Since the horn and RV remote spotlight were mounted on top and since it interferred with resonable gas mileage, I moved them down to the front bumper guard, but had to mount the horn with the bells facing down. They stuck out too much if they were pointed out, but I did not want them TOO obvious by mounting them on the front fender or top of the hood. Gets peoples' attention. But what really gets their attention is the 118 dB back up alarm that sounds like a dump truck backing up that I mounted under the back bumper and made switch activated so I would not wake up the troops in the neighborhood when I backed out at o-dark-thirty in the AM!

Ger

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
IOW, if you blow the horn while on the brakes (a natural condition), you will blow the fuse. Why Honda's engineers would do this defies all logic I'm aware of.
I think they usually do it so you will know quickly that your brake light fuse is blown. "Hey, my horn's not working. Wonder why?" I'd prefer that it share a fuse with the dome light, though, if that's their reasoning.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
My air horns beep just fine with the locked door signal from the keyless, and I've laid on them with the brakes actvated without blowing a fuse, as well. Guess we must have chosen different wiring schemes! ( And I'm all relayed, fused up and protected, too, thank you!) :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's probably a FIAMM unit, which are great. I own a Lancia Zagato that came with a FIAMM air horn from the factory. It's way friggin loud and it's kind of high pitched too, which is really surprising to people. It's an attention getter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been thinking about adding an Italian Air Horn to my E. I want to keep the OEM horn with activation in the steering wheel, and install this one with a separate button where the fog light switch is, since that is not being used. Has anyone installed an air horn as a separate accessory? If so, how easy was it, and what fuse did you use?

This is the model that I'm interested in.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=air+horn

1 - 20 of 102 Posts