Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the interstate the other day & some idiot started coming into my lane, I hit the horn & guess what? No honk. I never realized how important the horn is til it quit working & I nearly got ran off the road. Has anyone had this issue & how do I fix it? I guess at 170,000 miles, there's no telling what problems will arise. Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'd start with fuze, loose-dirty connections or maybe the horn just went. See if you have juice at the connection at the horn and work backwards.
se

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the fuse is bad cause the horn & brake lights are on that fuse together & brake lights are ok.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the #7 fuse under the hood & its good.
Ramblerdan, where is the horn located exactly under the hood?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i am on horn three in mine and its only an 07 i still have no idea whats wrong with it but thats what a warranty is for now when that is up i dont know what i am going to do

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I don't use it except in emergencies, its kind of embarrassing to hear the wimpy little thing.
Removing the bumper sounds way too large of a procedure for me. Isn't there another way to get to it?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Taking the bumper off is by far the easiest way. I thought like you initially and got to mine by removing the wheel well liner, and it was a major PITA to get back together.

And I've worn horns out. Well, at least according to my wife. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
i wish i could say i wore it out it is a wimpy little thing i wonder why they put such a wimpy horn in there

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Removing the front bumper is actually very easy. You can do it alone, better with a helper.

Here is the instructions manual for installing the fog lights for your car year. You will find the instructions to remove the bumper on the second half of page 2.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/07fogs.pdf

If you do a search, there are several options to upgrading the horn as well including installing an Accord horn and so on. Good luck. I hope you find and fix the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
faint horn

The horn on my 04 became very dull....probably only about 1/4 of the sound that is used to have.

Probably not a fuse issue, is it? I am thinking I need to check the connections and if that doesn't do it, I probably just need a new one.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
you more than likely need a new one.
If you want an 06 Accord high tone added to the Elements horn makes a little bit(ok alot) more noise than the stock one. Easy to add if your going to do this all at once.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,822 Posts
The horn on my 04 became very dull....probably only about 1/4 of the sound that is used to have.

Probably not a fuse issue, is it? I am thinking I need to check the connections and if that doesn't do it, I probably just need a new one.

Any thoughts?
A horn is a pretty simple gadget, an electromagnet and a diaphragm, much like a cone speaker. When the diaphragm is pulled in the circuit is broken or shunted. If the horn works at all there is probably something adhering to the diaphragm or between it and the horn body, most likely mud, vegetation or rust, or the quality of ground between the horn and chassis has degraded. On older horn designs the diaphragm movement could be controlled by adjusting the contact screw/locking nut, from a dull squawk to a shrill buzz.

Try hosing it down thoroughly with high pressure water as someone holds down the horn button. If that helps, once it has a chance to dry shoot some WD40 into it so it gets behind the diaphragm, and penetrating oil on the horn bracket mounting screw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks ramblerdan, can't believe I missed that link just a few posts above!

BTW, your instructions for the odometer light bulb replacement rock! I love your web site, spent about a half hour on it last night checking out all your mods!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Replaced my horn this weekend and feel great about it! I know its a fairly easy job but it's a big deal for me!

So a few things:

I'd suggest buying a whole set of those plastic clip things that most cars use to attach things like bumpers. I noticed that the ones on the underside of the front bumper were brittle and tough to remove. I broke 2 of them as I tried to pry them out. They are cheap, might as well replace all of them at once.

After removing all the plastic clips and the (I think 6) bolts/screws I was having trouble getting the bumper off. Turns out that the bumper overlaps a little bump where the screws go in at the wheel well. So, the corners of the bumper. The bumper, another body piece and the wheel well liner all sort of overlap here. You need to lightly pry the piece of bumper plastic over this little hump to get the bumper off. Same with putting it back on.

Otherwise, it was super easy! You have to cut the connector off of the horn wire but don't be afraid...its easy. Just strip the casing off the wire and crimp it onto the new horn connector.

I bought a generic replacement horn from Napa...only like $12.95. It was labeled as having a "low" note but unfortunately it still sounds like a scooter. I'd suggest something else.

I have pics but don't want to figure out how to get them in my message. Oh well. Next weekend I do the rear differential fluid change! I love doing this work myself, so rewarding!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts