Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a completely stock Element. 2005 EX 5 spd AWD with roughly 58,000 miles (I say roughly because My Odometer went out and had to replace it.) I barely get to 300 miles if that before the gas light turns on. I change the oil religiously every 3000 miles and air filter every 6000 whether it needs it or not. I have tried lucas fuel injection cleaner and still nothing. When I bought it back in 2005 with about 15,000 miles on it i could get about 340 miles before the light came on. I commute to school about 35 miles every other day. 80% of my driving is highway.

My driving style is conservative. I only "get on it" if I am passing someone on a backroad.

Any ideas or thought on what could be causing the MPG loss or ways to gain it back would be greatly appreciative. Thanks

·
Registered
715 Posts
Have you replaced the tires recently? I put new tires on my wife's Corolla and it went from 36 hwy to 33 mpg. Going to turn out to be some expensive tires by the time they wear out.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get anywhere between 16-23 depending on weather and the wind.

Also yes i put new tires on about 20,000 miles ago.

Yes I do occasionally redline my E to get the crap out of it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sounds about right based upon this:

The crap out of it? That's a good way to screw your gas mileage but I'm not sure about the crap.
Not necessarily true. If you drive like you stole it all day every day, yeah your mileage will take a big hit.

But, if you drive at that happy balance between conservative and "normal," but you get after it to merge into traffic or just because you feel like it every day, it won't make much of an impact on mileage even short-term. But it will help prevent "gunk" from building up and keep things running smooth.

For the record, last week, I did drive like I stole it, especially merging onto Michigan Ave. off the Southfield and merging onto freeways (was doing almost 100 mph in 4th gear). My mileage for that tank? 25.2

·
Registered
73 Posts
I drive a completely stock Element. 2005 EX 5 spd AWD with roughly 58,000 miles (I say roughly because My Odometer went out and had to replace it.) I barely get to 300 miles if that before the gas light turns on. I change the oil religiously every 3000 miles and air filter every 6000 whether it needs it or not. I have tried lucas fuel injection cleaner and still nothing. When I bought it back in 2005 with about 15,000 miles on it i could get about 340 miles before the light came on. I commute to school about 35 miles every other day. 80% of my driving is highway.

My driving style is conservative. I only "get on it" if I am passing someone on a backroad.

Any ideas or thought on what could be causing the MPG loss or ways to gain it back would be greatly appreciative. Thanks
WOW!!! I have a 05 ex AWD Auto and im lucky if I get 270 miles to a tank! You are doing good lol..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I only redline my E once a month. Which in turn is about every 5 tanks of gas or so. its not an everyday event. but do you guys have any ideas on how to improve my mpg besides basic up keep that wont break the bank?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
2005 with 60K and I've gotten the same mileage since Day One - exactly 21 miles to the gallon heading to and fro work on the weekdays. Fixed route, one stop for coffee, rarely any traffic. Lucky me.

I always get better mileage on the highways, even when pulling our little camper. But when I cross that "magic" 73mph mark during long road trips, my mileage "tanks" dramatically - so I set the cruise and religiously get 19.5mpg at 70mph.

Gas up, track your mileage, do the math - don't ever try to "gauge" your gas consumption using your gas gauge...you'll simply pull your hair out.

Cheers,

jamie

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The low fuel light is bogus information. In my neighborhood I can occasionally have my low fuel light go on as I drive up a hill only to have it go off again as I go down the other side. If that hill (yes, not all of Kansas is flat) were longer the light would probably stay off for quite some time.:)
........there's hills in Kansas? :confused: :lol:

FWIW I have that happen to me all the time, especially after parking on a hill for a while.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
44 Posts

How'd you replace the odometer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I usually get 22 city and highway, did a road trip down two florida a few times and slowing down brought it up to 26mpg this was figured out with pen and paper. The gas light isn't an accurate way to measure but I do remember doing 300 mile tanks and filling up with 13 gallons, so I think I was running on fumes.

If you put on wider tires or a more aggressive tread design it will impact your milage.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
haha I am lucky to get 250 on a tank before my low fuel light comes on. I usually put between 11-12 gallons in when the light comes on.

I do drive, shall we say, briskly though. When driving mostly highway and keeping my speed at 73 and below I can get clost to 300 miles on a tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts