Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 EX AWD 5 speed with 93000 miles on it.
Got it from a really good reputable Honda dealership here in Mass.
Test drove it twice. Drove good. Didn’t notice any real issues.
Take it home. The next day go to work and get stuck in traffic.
Then I notice as I’m starting to pull off from a stop I am getting terrible wheel hop. No matter how I finesse or slip the clutch.
For info, this is my 4th Honda. All have been manual trans. I know how to drive lol.
So I finally get to work. When I leave work the car seems fine? Pulls off from a stop no problem. Until the motor/clutch/trans warm up and the issue starts again. Also, I notice there a slight chattering sound coming from under the car where the clutch and trans are. Actually the sound almost goes away when you press the clutch pedal IN. I’m assuming it’s a throw out bearing or a release bearing.
I bring it back to the dealership and they actually agreed to put a new clutch in it for me. Free of charge.
They call me today and say they put the new clutch in, but after driving it it’s still making “the noise”. So they want to put a new transmission in it? Said they are going to put one in.

Kind of weird if you ask me. They said they’re going to get it all sorted out for me, and it won’t cost me a dime. “The thing is gonna be like a new Element” in the Service managers words.

Anyways, here in MA im covered by the lemon law. And any time the dealer has the car does not count towards my lemon law warranty period. Also, they gave me a loaner car to use while they sort it out. I have them by the balls, and if I want I can get a refund, if I choose to.

Any insight on the actual problem? It’s a super reputable Honda dealership, with a huge state of the art service facility. Known and highly rated dealer chain. And they were actually really nice to me. I want to be mad, but I also feel like I might be super lucky. Not sure how to feel or what to think. Besides the issue, the car is in super great condition. I love it. Black on black with black interior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow...that’s quite the story. Sounds like the dealer is doing the right thing. I would say you got lucky.

Not sure if this applies to what happened to you. Anyhow, when I was shopping for mine I did look at a manual with a new clutch. When I called to ask about the car, the owner told me that when the clutch went out it actually damaged some other components in the transmission and that a lot of parts in there had been replaced. After that I did a quick search and found a few posts that described similar issues with clutches going out and damaging the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow...that’s quite the story. Sounds like the dealer is doing the right thing. I would say you got lucky.

Not sure if this applies to what happened to you. Anyhow, when I was shopping for mine I did look at a manual with a new clutch. When I called to ask about the car, the owner told me that when the clutch went out it actually damaged some other components in the transmission and that a lot of parts in there had been replaced. After that I did a quick search and found a few posts that described similar issues with clutches going out and damaging the transmission.
Very interesting! Sounds like maybe that’s what happened with mine.

Yeah I hope everything works out for me. I just really need a good reliable car with space right now. And the element is exactly what I needed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts