Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I would personaly never put a water hose in my car, but some people have mentioned to me that they've seen a commercial with a person hosing out there Element.... am I going nucking futs? Let me know what you think... Do you think the seats or floors could take the water?.... my guess is no.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pdub,

Good question. The Honda book that comes with the Element says not to hose it out. :!: While the seats and floor would be able to take it (don't ask how I know this), the gauges and other components would have a hard time.

The floor you can wipe out real easy, and if you get the all season floor mats and or the cargo tray, it make clean up much easier. Them you can hose off real easy.

I have not seen the commercial you talked about, but I would say that was pushing it.

It does clean up real nice, but I would not go about hosing the inside.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where on Honda's site did you see the hose thing? I'd like to see the pic. And, just for piece of mind I'd like to state that I don't plan on hosing my car out. My old truck used to leak water in through the windshield, which contributed to an old sock smeel in the car.... not fun.
:roll:
-pdubintheatx

·
Registered
32 Posts
When we went to the initial Element ride and drive, several dealers had the very same question. And the Answer is no.. The internal wiring harness' are not weatherproofed. So, washing out the internals with a hose would not be the best thing you could do for your El. However, you can bucket wash the interior with a sponge and soapy water without worry.

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I bought my E, the dealer told me that there is something out there, or coming out, that you can hose down because it comes with drains in the floorboards, but that the E does not, and should only be wiped down with a sponge.

·
Registered
249 Posts
there is some kind of soft insulation under the floor. I would be afraid a heavy flow of water would find itself under the floor and into the insulation. :? I'm just gonna sweep and wipe.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
is it really possible to hose-down the interior to clean it?

i don't want to try it myself!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think in theory it is possible to hose it down, but there is no drainage system in the E, therefore the water would accumulate in puddles. From what my dealer told me, the wiring is 4 inches off the ground so maybe...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dealer tried to tell me that it's possible to hose down the interior, but I can only think that the water would find the gaps around the spare tire cover and basically pool in there. I wouldn't want to get water between the plastic floor mat and the body, either. Also, there's the matter of the low mounted center speaker on the EXes. I think wiping the whole inside down with a damp cloth is reasonable, but I sure wouldn't want to just start spraying water indescriminately, even if it was parked on a hill with the tailgate pointed downhill.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
While the salesman didn't recommend it by any means he did tell us that the wiring system is waterproffed up to 6 inches in the E.

The Swifter and Pledge Mop thingy works great.....I did use a soft terry cloth and some Lexol Vinyles on some suffed areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer said that while you theoretically CAN hose down the inside, it's not a good idea because the water will pool in the spare tire area and in the lower floor areas (where the people in the front seats would put their feet) plus the radio would get all wet. So she said that she wouldn't recommend doing anything other than using a damp cloth on it.

I thought it was cool of her to mention this to me even though I didn't ask about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah... same story from my dealer -- "the car is basically waterproof up to your knees, but you really don't want to put a hose in there 'cause it'll create a mess you won't believe". :)

Drew

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it is just a rumor. You cannot take a hose to the inside of a car with speakers and other electronic equipment. Would be nice though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the biggest problem would be water running into the well where the spare tire is kept. I don't know if there is any drainage out of there. I don't plan to hose mine down, but I won't fear a good thick sponge and a bucket of water :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hosing out the car - nasty rumour. The wet "swiffers" work great for cleaning the floor.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
I was a possible feature in the Model X prototype (including a drain). It wasn't practical for a production version apparently. Honda's never indicated that you can "hose out" the E.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A friend of mine owns a Honda dealership and I learned that early marketing hype mentioned hosing out the interior but a lack of proper drainage plus the location of rear passenger climate ducts under the front seats make it a poor idea. Marketing was instructed to back off from such comments so you shouldn't find any mention of such from any official Honda source.

Even if you can't literally hose it out it's still gotta be one of the easiest interiors to keep clean. We've got a two year old and the interior finishes were one of the big selling points for me.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts