Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an Element, looks perfect for my mountain bike, kayak, telescope equipment etc...

Just how comfortable is it on LONG trips? My current car has 3 hours seats, any more and you just are hurting. My ex's Volvo had 10 hour seats, probably more, but I never pushed it that hard. (11 hours with 2 half hour breaks.)

I don't drive much but when I do it seems to be for long distances, I have several 5 hours trips a month, and 1 to 2 multiple thousand mile trips a year.

I'm talking to the local dealer about an extended test drive, but what's the scoop on the driver's seat? How good or how bad is it?

Thanks!

Paul

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, NotThePainter.

I'm assuming you are looking at a new or late-model Element.

The 2007-10 seats are pretty well regarded for comfort, if you are of average height. Very short and very tall drivers tend to hate the non-adjustable shoulder harness. People with finicky spines who commonly need support aids will probably need them here too.

Search for old threads on this topic; there has been considerable discussion over the years, but bear in mind that anything relating to 2003-06 seats probably doesn't apply, except maybe for the extremely firm cushions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've done 10 hour road trip and only stopped for gas & pee break twice, at the end of my journey I was fresh and no back pain or numb bums. E is a real highway cruiser. :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Extremely hard cushions is correct. I've driven mine cross country twice (5 days each way), plus 3 weeks touring Baja. On the first trip I had to stop the second day to get a cushion, but after that no problems. If I ever get around to re-upholstering the seats, I'll add some foam, but the cushion works fine for now.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Comfort is a real hard thing to review. Some people like feather beds and soft fluffy pillows while others like firm hard beds and contoured pillows. A car's seat is basically the same thing.

I suggest you get the dealer to let you take one out on an extended test drive. It is too bad nobody really rents the E.

I find my '05 to be pretty comfortable, maybe not the most comfortable of cars that I have owned but pretty close.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm an old geezer with a bad back, and I have done a number of 5-6 hour drives with no problems whatsoever. Many of these drives have been on mountain back roads which aren't the best, but again, no problems.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I injured my back in a car accident in 1997. There is always constant pain and tightness around the lower shoulder-blade/mid-back area.

I have a very nice, very expensive Herman/Miller chair in the office. I have to get up once every hour to stretch out my back otherwise the pain and tightness will worsen and build up to the point I can't sleep at night. I do not have this issue with my 2004 Element's driver seat. I have driven 20 hours straight and only stopped to buy gas and food and take smoke breaks. I ate on the road. Small stretches while sitting on the driver's seat are usually enough to loosen my back.

I have driven far more "luxurious" cars with seats that were really bad on my back.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My '03 EXs seats have been great for long distance drives. I regularly drive to Portland OR from Missoula MT nearly non-stop (girlfriend) it's about 10 hours. I really like my E for roadtrips.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I'm thinking of buying an Element, looks perfect for my mountain bike, kayak, telescope equipment etc...

Just how comfortable is it on LONG trips? My current car has 3 hours seats, any more and you just are hurting. My ex's Volvo had 10 hour seats, probably more, but I never pushed it that hard. (11 hours with 2 half hour breaks.)

I don't drive much but when I do it seems to be for long distances, I have several 5 hours trips a month, and 1 to 2 multiple thousand mile trips a year.

I'm talking to the local dealer about an extended test drive, but what's the scoop on the driver's seat? How good or how bad is it?

Thanks!

Paul
:lol: Your first post echoes one of my first posts 5 years ago. I can't speak for the later model years but I've driven from northern Illinois to Duluth, MN, Pittsburgh, PA,St.Louis, MO, Evansville, IN and think nothing of doing a six hour drive on a Sunday. Fact is we are planning a drive to Black Earth, WI this Sunday to take Mrs. IRV shoe shopping. That's about six hours round trip. (Oh and Mrs. IRV never objects to taking the E; she drives a Ford Edge that if you just looked would seem much more comfy. It just isn't.):)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I agree!

We've done numerous 1000 mile + roads trips in the E.
I've gotten dead-ass a few times but that can happen in any seat if you don't stop for leg stretches.
Overall I love it.
Plenty of head room and a great big windshield to look out from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts