What worked for you?

Bart
SSM EX 4wd Auto

·
Registered
12 Posts
Convincing my wife was easy:

a) she hates the idea of a mini-van as much as I do

b) we find it ridiculous to spend 30K+ for a "utility vehicle"; most of our friends with those cars cringe whenever someone parks too close to their car, someone wet from rain gets into their car, any dirt from anywhere gets close to their car.

We actually wanted a low maintenance, versatile, environmentally friendly and fun car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine wanted me to buy a car that I wanted, but she was leaning towards a 350Z, because I talked about them from time to time. She insisted that I get what I wanted and couldn't believe it when I came home with the E. She thought I was going to be middle age crazy and get a sports car to recapture my youth, instead I got something that everyone agrees is a better reflection of who I am.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I always find this query a bit odd.

When my darling husband was alive, he picked the car he wanted and I picked the car I wanted. We consulted on budget, of course, but it was entirely our own choice.

As it happened, we had diverging taste in cars and he always wanted a sedan, and I always wanted the haul-it-all vehicle. So we had one of each - a city driver and a country hauler. Our choices complemented each other, and all of my cars pleased him, and all of his cars pleased me. But if he had wanted a chartreuse Gremlin and that made him happy, that would've been fine with me.

Our only issue came up when I briefly had a Hyundai with a manual transmission, and he couldn't drive stick, bless his old dyslexic heart.

I understand where you guys are coming from. You guys want to enjoy your car and share that enjoyment, rather than have it be a source of friction. And a marriage is definitely give a little/get a little proposition. It just happened that in my marriage, this wasn't an issue where there was any pull/push to it. Now, furniture - that was a different matter! :?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had recently sold a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan which we both hated- too staid and the seats weren't comfortable for our body shape: In other words- their bucket seats didn't fit our buckets!

I had just bought a new Jeep Wrangler in January (we've had a Wrangler around for several years and both love them) and so when I began making noises about a Galapagos Green Element my wife immediately "laid claim" to the Wrangler as "hers." It was promptly outfitted with "Cowgirl Up" floormats and all of her favorite C&W CD's and now I drive the Element and she drives "her Wrangler."

All in all- it worked out quite well,

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
...I made him test drive it. :D

I saw it on the lot for weeks and thought it was awful. I stopped to look at a minivan and glanced inside the E out of curiosity. Fell in love with it on the spot.

When I told him that's what I wanted, he said, "Absolutely not. Its too small, too weird, etc." I made him stop and look and test drive it and by the time we got back, he was convinced.

Most people I know haven't been impressed with the outside, but are very surprised by the inside.

bex

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just let your wife test drive it. Mine did and absolutely loved it. My wife also loves getting the stares and comment. Does her 42 -year old ego good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How did I get my spouse to agree to me buying the E?

Easy, I'm a 22 year old single male...the only convincing I had to do was with my parents. Luckily for me, the monthly payments are only 247 dollars....Gotta love Honda!!!!!!

Peace Love and E,

Chris

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I was a bit agrivated about having to convince my husband to buy the E...after all it was MY car, but he wanted a new civic.....so in order to convince him to spend the extra $3000....I had to agree that he would "win" every argument for 1 full year.....well at least let him think he won! But this was very hard to agree to none the less....no one fully understands how competitive and right I always am!!!! <evil laugh> :twisted:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took my wife along on a test drive. Then she marvelled at the cargo and passenger area. Then she drove it and was hooked. I had dibs, so this one is mine. Gonna buy a GG 4WD AT EXS in September if we can locate one for her.
Hard to believe she hated them when they first came out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I traded my Explorer on an Acura TSX three weeks before we got our E. We needed a vehicle to carry stuff - a 'stuff car'. I took a test drive, brought home a brochure and she HATED it.

After three weeks of showing her info online, etc., she still didn't like it, so I gave up and told her I'd get a Civic to drive to work. But we needed a stuff car - she wanted an Escape.

She finally agreed to a test drive and was sold within two blocks. Now it's 'her' car. She's nuts about it. Green is her favorite color and GG is a real nice green.

Of course, I can talk her into anything. Talked her into marrying me 34 years ago!

·
Registered
43 Posts
We needed a more functional car because the Frontier that I had only had 2 seats. We also couldn't put anything in the bed without having to drive home first to drop it off (i didn't have a shell).

So after a little convincing, I talked her into it...but....she had to pick the color. I wasn't so gung-ho about the orange color but I really didn't have a choice anymore. Either let her pick the color or I get no car.

Before we bought it, she didn't care for the car and told me that it wasn't a car that she would ever buy.

1 month later....she drives it now....doh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts