Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got water coming in from my skylight. I looked at it and my gasket is fine, its sitting in it's place evenly. The problem is that water is accumulating around the edges and it's not draining down the drain holes. I assume they must be clogged or something. I tried one of those little bottle of compressed air for cleaning pc's but no luck.

I saw a few posts on here but nothing really explained how to take care of the problem. Anyone know?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
use a turkey baster to push water threw them. GENTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that might help

·
Registered
271 Posts
If that doesn't work, buy a roll of mechanic's wire.

Its tough and flexible. You can use a single strand or braid it.

You can push that stuff all the way to the bottom of the car if need be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think bass guitar string might be the easiest for me to try. I did notice when I used the computer compressed air that when I sprayed it into one hole, it seemed like the air was coming out of the other 3. SHould I have plugged the other holes while I that? Also, I will try to do it as gently as possible, but is it possible to do more harm sticking a wire/guitar string down the holes?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I think bass guitar string might be the easiest for me to try. I did notice when I used the computer compressed air that when I sprayed it into one hole, it seemed like the air was coming out of the other 3. SHould I have plugged the other holes while I that? Also, I will try to do it as gently as possible, but is it possible to do more harm sticking a wire/guitar string down the holes?
Hmmm, it sounds like the two drains come together at a "Y" junction and the blockage is below that. The best method would be to find where the drain comes out under the car and run your wire probe up from there. Be careful though because when you unclog it there is the possibility of getting a lot of water in your face if you are under the drain when it clears.:cry:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's awesome. Thanks for that pic. I feel better now that I know what it looks like in there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys....I think I got it, but won't know for sure until with get another heavy rain...but one of the holes was draining VERY slowloy. I use some weed wacher string...a very thick guage and after I did that, the water drained fairly fast. I hope I got it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,
I've got water coming in from my skylight. I looked at it and my gasket is fine, its sitting in it's place evenly. The problem is that water is accumulating around the edges and it's not draining down the drain holes. I assume they must be clogged or something. I tried one of those little bottle of compressed air for cleaning pc's but no luck.

I saw a few posts on here but nothing really explained how to take care of the problem. Anyone know?

Thanks
The plastic tubing is probably pinched under the side panel on the right side losen panel by the rear tail light and look behind to see the tubing mine was pinched so bad that I had to cut a piece out and put in a union.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If that doesn't work, buy a roll of mechanic's wire.

Its tough and flexible. You can use a single strand or braid it.

You can push that stuff all the way to the bottom of the car if need be.
I've done the same and it should work ok for you. This issue can be a right pain if not fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Other than the ideas mentioned, would there be any other solvents liquids to use for flushing out the tubes. I have horrendous sap raining down onto my E from a tree I park under. Now that the rains have returned to Oregon, I have a short window to get this under control.

thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help! The Back of my Element is WET!!

I just notice tonight when I opened the back to put some groceries in there that there was water on the 'floor'. I don't know at this point where the rain came in. I know that I should of probably been maintaining my window gaskets somehow for more 'pliability'? Anyway, I opened up the back and saw water there and damp things. First time it has ever happened and I am at a loss to figure out at this point. But MUST figure it out as I sleep back there when I am doing my 5,000 to 8,000 mile trips annually.
I know i probably should of been taking care of my window gaskets better? Still not sure what to put on there to make them more pliable. Any suggestions?
Anyway, hopefully this will reach the 'right people' who may have a suggestion. Definitely don't want to replace the skylight and the back window (without addressing THE 'main problem'? But, what's a girl to do!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,887 Posts
I just notice tonight when I opened the back to put some groceries in there that there was water on the 'floor'. I don't know at this point where the rain came in. ... First time it has ever happened and I am at a loss to figure out at this point. But MUST figure it out as I sleep back there when I am doing my 5,000 to 8,000 mile trips annually.
I know i probably should of been taking care of my window gaskets better? Still not sure what to put on there to make them more pliable. Any suggestions?
If the surface of skylight rubber seal is still smooth I would remove the skylight, clean the edges of the roof where it contacts the seal, and wax the paint there.

Next, I'd test the drains by drizzling a cup through each drain using a turkey baster.

If you often drive with the skylight open the roof edge should be washed 4x a year, the drains checked early spring and late fall.

I'd clean the skylight edge seal with multipurpose cleaner and rinse it with water, and wipe gently with cotton cloths, repeating until no more black residue appear on the cloths.

I'd treat the cleaned rubber with aerospace formula 303, which should be good for several years. I prefer the 303 to door seal because the 303 doesn't leave residue that could attract and hold dirt whenever the skylight is left open. After seeing how "greaseless' door seal builds up on door seals I stopped using it on my cars.

Because my skylight is open whenever the temp is above 60F and not raining, I check the seal for cleanliness and tears each time I open it. Tiny tears can be fixed with crazy glue applied only to he split edge of the tear -if they are caught early. I use tooth picks to apply the glue .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts