Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had problems with mice for a full year.

I just pulled out a ton of sound insulation from the dash - and also the air filter. The mice have been spending time there, but since we have never SEEN or HEARD the mice, they must be coming and going.

HOW? HELP?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
ewww

I'm at work right now so I can't go looking for it, but there are some that have the same problem on the russian element site too!

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Ah the mouse story. Last year I had a rear light out, thought it was just a bulb. Got into it and found mommy mouse with babies hanging off of her. She chewed through the blinker wire in 2 places and destroyed all the insulation as well.

I googled and searched here, I now have two feet cut off the bottom of nylon stockings, filled them with moth balls. Tied one on each side of the engine area.
Also put one on Spare wheel area. Someone else swore by charcoal, so I hung two pieces from under the center of the hood.

Yes, the e smelled for a while like moth balls then it faded away. Once in awhile I get a whiff of it but I have never had a mouse problem again. My e is not in a garage and there are mice everywhere out here in the country.

Good luck.

jurn

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Try setting the air to recirculate before you shut down your car. Thats helped me when I have edible (for mice) stuff in the car.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Try being particular about your parking spot. Just like "theft" in the city, avoiding critters in the country takes a bit of effort.

It's difficult sometimes, but try parking so access to your car is difficult.

This works well in all types of locations, and can even be used to get rid of existing mice. :wink:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
how do the mice get in????
They knock on the door and the other mice let them in!
:D

Seriously though, those things can squeeze through the tiniest hole you wouldn't think they'd fit through. Putting the environmental controls on recirculate helps. I did that when we were having mice problems in the area due to a major construction nearby and got lucky. My neighbor wasn't so lucky though. All his vehicles got infiltrated, including a Mercedes Benz suv and a Ford F-350 both brand new.

Good luck to you, I have you can find a way to evict the tenants.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the posts

I like the pool idea.

We have been talking about changing to parking on the street from the driveway, I suppose that might help.

I have also started to close the vent.

We'll see what happens.

:lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had this problem 2 years ago, but on an Accord (still saving for an E). Solutions that seem to have worked:
1) As mentioned by others, keep the environmental controls on "recirculate", as the mice tend to get into the interior via that route.
2)I also put oil of peppermint (real oil of peppermint, not extract) on cotton balls around the interior and the trunk, and also dripped some on the carpet and into the air vents.
3) Finally, I put pest repellant packets (dried coyote urine, I think) in the engine compartment (attached them high in the compartment with twist ties, and out of the way of moving parts). The reason for putting them high in the compartment is that I was very kindly warned on here that, if they get wet, they smell awful; I'm assuming they stayed dry, because there was no smell in the car.

I don't know if they stayed out of the engine area (although it's been in for at least two mechanic visits, and he didn't mention anything), but they didn't return to the interior. Of course, the car smelled like Santa's Workshop all winter.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
1) As mentioned by others, keep the environmental controls on "recirculate", as the mice tend to get into the interior via that route.
This topic came up last year at about this time and I posted the question: "Are you aware of the location of the inlet for HVAC?" Just in case no one noticed it is located just forward of the driver's side windshield wiper. The inlet is covered with a fine plastic grate that I could not push the erasure end of a pencil through so a mouse would have to be real small to get in there. I think they are getting into the car someplace else.

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
2)I also put oil of peppermint (real oil of peppermint, not extract) on cotton balls around the interior and the trunk, and also dripped some on the carpet and into the air vents.
it's as bad as me, I used moth balls, hung in the engine compartment and spare wheel well.

And while I have you here, "NE of Connecticut" ????
Haven't seen you in my woods?????
We must be neighbors, .....

pm me and we'll find out.
What a hoot, finally someone in the NE part of CT, in the woods
You'll often find e owners from NJ, NY, MA and VT in my woods.....

regards,
jurn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts