Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's cracked, the a/c doesn't work and makes a horrible noise if I try to engage it or even turn it off once engaged. I am not driving the car, it is waiting for a replacement compressor so repair work can begin. The only relevant info I have is that the car was in some sort of frontal collision by the previous owner. I bought it used about 18k miles ago and recently stumbled upon this when I took it in for service:

It seems that the bracket is cracked and one of the bolts is either not all the way in, or rattled/was forced out....

The dealership I bought the car from is no longer there today, otherwise I would have ripped them a new one.

(Here is a LINK to my previous thread about the grinding a/c noise)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Don't try to runt he AC any more.

Hell, take the belt completely off. Actually it probably won't even run anyway due to the low pressure switch being open. Better safe than sorry though.

If the compressor was making grinding noises, I guarantee you that you've got metal shavings all in your system by now. You may seriously want to consider taking this to a professional reputable shop to have this job done.

They HAVE TO pull all your lines out and flush them of anything and everything. Same with the evap and condenser coils. You'll obviously be replacing the filter dryer, and may want to look into getting a new expansion valve, since the orifice in that thing is very tiny, and there's a good chance that you may have already sent some shavings into it. Those shavings will wreck your new AC compressor in no time if left in.

Obviously you're going to have to bite the bullet here and fork out some cash. It sucks, but there really isn't a way around it. Everything I mentioned above NEEDS to be done to keep your new compressor alive and to keep the system running properly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a new compressor assembly on its way, along with a serpentine belt. And the car will be taken to a mechanic I've been dealing with for 6+ years now, so I trust him. Initially, I had taken it to Honda, and they wanted a lot of money for it and were inaccurate about some of the damage. So I just paid them their diagnostic fee and brought my car home.

I'll replace anything that needs to be replaced, I like having things done right. However, I'm still shocked at how this damage could have been caused. As I said above, I now know the car was in a frontal collision at some point by previous owner, and the repair job was less than standard, so could it be possible that the compressor was already cracked when I bought it and it just got worse? Or could it be that the bolt shown in the picture above that isn't threaded into the bracket could have allowed some movement/shaking and eventually let the side of the compressor that was bolted to become cracked?

I guess I Just want closure on this entire ugly deal. And of course.. the carfaqs report said no problems ever reported, LOL!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I replaced a customer's compressor at work that blew a hole in itself LOL.

If the compressor makes the noise when it is not engaged, then either the pulley bearing is damaged or the compressor is not sitting square and in-line in relation to the serpent belt travel path. Due to the high cost of A/C system repair nowadays and how easily they can be damaged by internal contamination, I would leave it parked until it is repaired.

As others have mentioned, make sure your technician inspects the system to ensure the lines and other components were not contaminated with metal debris from the compressor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Replacement compressor came in on Friday. (90k miles, pulled from an '07).

The mechanic said it made the same noise when he installed it, so it's no good either. Now, there are no aftermarket companies that make replacement compressors, so the only two options are:

another used compressor
brand new compressor assembly from honda/online

-__-

I hate this mess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is at least one company that has reman compressors for the Elements. Look at meridianautoparts.com. You will have to call them for exact pricing, but they have everything from a reman compressor to a complete kit with compressor, expansion valve, condensor and reciever dryer with all o-rings. They are a first class company to deal with, and I've never had a problem with any of their parts except for one compressor that they shipped out a replacment for overnight at their expense.

Stephen

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meridian wants $345 shipped, which isn't too bad, but I'm looking to see if I can get the used one replaced with another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2003 E. Heard a loud noise a few years ago. Sounded like i hit something on the road and it went up into my engine. A few moments later the AC stopped working. Now this was in August. In the middle of a business trip that I decided to drive to. Took it into a local Honda dealer. They had no explanation. Cost me about 1500 bucks to get a new one put in if memory serves. So far, everyting has been fine. 60K or better since I had the work done.

Not sure this helps, but at least you know you are not alone.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts